This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2013 8:49 PM by matthew_morris RSS

OCP Practice

user13653962 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good day everybody.

I am planning to take OCP test as i have already done OCA , for earning OCP i am reading the Sybex book word to word and deep diving every statment by practicing in test database.Due to overwhelming of office project i could not continue to read rest of the chapters of this book (I have read already 50% of this book) , now when i resume after 1 month i feel like a bit forgetting everything which i had read so far. I am bizarre of this thing it happened the same as before , is it just me or is it normal with everybody or it is just an illusion.What should you guys recommend , should i repeat the whole word by word or just go ahead with reamining part of this book.How can i have a quick glance , one of my friend recommended me to do brain dumps of those read topics.But i dont think brain dumps comes in such a handy to do only selected topics.Please share yours valuable thought.
  • 1. Re: OCP Practice
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Brain Dumps are "illegal" and Oracle could revoke your certification if it finds that you have used Brain Dumps.
    now when i resume after 1 month i feel like a bit forgetting everything which i had read so far
    My guess is that you have been reading too much too quickly. Take your time and read the content slowly. Read a chapter about twice or thrice before going to the next chapter. Return to each chapter again for revision after a month or two.

And, of course, practice in a Test or "Play" environment. You can create a VM using Oracle Virtual Box. Oracle supplies prebuilt VMs with 11g database installed as well.

Search my blog for VM or Virtual Box (I can't currently access the blog from my corporate network). http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

Hemant K Chitale
  • 2. Re: OCP Practice
    user13653962 Newbie
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:
    Brain Dumps are "illegal" and Oracle could revoke your certification if it finds that you have used Brain Dumps.
    now when i resume after 1 month i feel like a bit forgetting everything which i had read so far
    My guess is that you have been reading too much too quickly. Take your time and read the content slowly. Read a chapter about twice or thrice before going to the next chapter. Return to each chapter again for revision after a month or two.

And, of course, practice in a Test or "Play" environment. You can create a VM using Oracle Virtual Box. Oracle supplies prebuilt VMs with 11g database installed as well.

Search my blog for VM or Virtual Box (I can't currently access the blog from my corporate network). http://hemantoracledba.blogspot.com

Hemant K Chitale
    Hey Hemant , so nice of you mate , i have'nt found anything about VM in yours given link , a quick question for you why Brain Dumps are prohibited by Oracle? How come Oracle know about the candidates got prepared by using brain dumps or merely reading a book.Whats wrong once i complete the book altoghter and have some brain dumps test before taking the test?
  • 3. Re: OCP Practice
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    As noted, dumps are illegal

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/the_route_you_choose

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/0477

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/cheating_part_7_what_can_you_a

https://blogs.oracle.com/certification/entry/cheating_part_6_the_lone_benef

Srini
  • 4. Re: OCP Practice
    user13653962 Newbie
    Thanks Srini,

I appreciate yours help , but my concerns are still unanswerable ,why reading the dumps after reading the whole book altoghter , dont you see any new rich scenarios while you dont only reading the books?
  • 5. Re: OCP Practice
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director
    user13653962 wrote:
    Thanks Srini,

I appreciate yours help , but my concerns are still unanswerable ,why reading the dumps after reading the whole book altoghter , dont you see any new rich scenarios while you dont only reading the books?
    For the third time, dumps are ILLEGAL - period.

Srini
  • 6. Re: OCP Practice
    matthew_morris Expert
    user13653962 wrote:
    ...now when i resume after 1 month i feel like a bit forgetting everything which i had read so far
    You're not alone in that. The books are huge and contain an incredible amount of information. If this book were being used for a class, the chapters would be parceled out over several months. Trying to read the book in a period of weeks can give information overload. Personally, by the time I finish one of the preparation books, I sometimes feel like the earlier chapters are just a blur.

One of the things that I have done in the past is to create my own set of notes as I study -- writing down important concepts and a quick definition to help me remember it. Once I finished reading, I'd use my notes to help refresh my memory of the points most likely to be tested. Generally I'd take the notes with me to the testing center. I'd arrive an hour early and read through them one last time before going in to take the test.

Since I started writing study guides for Oracle exams, the process has been formalized a bit more and expanded. One downside is that the result is now a too big to complete in an hour.
    ...a quick question for you why Brain Dumps are prohibited by Oracle?
    Brain dumps are 'supposed' to be actual test questions and answers. Studying for a test with the actual questions and answers for the test is cheating. People who pass tests using materials like this cheapen the value of the certification for everyone who does not cheat.
    Whats wrong once i complete the book altoghter and have some brain dumps test before taking the test?
    It doesn't matter if you study and then cheat or cheat without studying at all. It is still cheating. If you are unable to absorb enough of the information with the available valid study resources then you should fail the test. Using brain dumps as a crutch simply invalidates the studying you did. If you get a given question right, was it because you understand the concepts or because you happened to remember that particular question and answer from the dump? No one will know... including you.

The information you are studying isn't mindless trivia that will never be useful in later life. This is basic information that Oracle DBAs need to have in order to be effective at their jobs. If you can't learn it, you shouldn't be a DBA.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points