This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 5:06 AM by Vidhya.V RSS

Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i

Vidhya.V Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I have scheduled RMAN backup in oracle 9i and it completed successfully.

After backup, if i list backup, its status is available.

#list backup by file;

Then i ran a crosscheck to crosccheck the backup files and backup sets.

#crosscheck backup;

Again, if i list the backup (l#ist backup), the status of latest backup which executed successfully today becomes "EXPIRED".

Could someone please guide me on the same. Its not possible to recover the database through RMAN if the backup is expired.

Will crosscheck command in oracle 9i, change the status of backup to expired??

Kindly suggest!

Thanks,
Vidhya
  • 1. Re: Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i
    asahide Expert
    Will crosscheck command in oracle 9i, change the status of backup to expired??
    Yes,
    Object is not found either in file system or in the media manager.
    A backup set is EXPIRED if any backup piece in the set is EXPIRED.
  • 2. Re: Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    Again, if i list the backup (l#ist backup), the status of latest backup which executed successfully today becomes "EXPIRED".
    That would happen if a non-RMAN command (e.g. an OS level DEL or RM command) was used to delete the backup pieces. When running the CROSSCHECK, Oracle no longer finds them in the expected location and, therefore, marks them as EXPIRED.

Hemant K Chitale

Edited by: Hemant K Chitale on Jan 8, 2013 4:41 PM
    Added "When running the CROSSCHECK"
  • 3. Re: Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i
    SurinderSingh Newbie
    You need to register again if backup is available in RMAN catalog or its control file
  • 4. Re: Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i
    Vidhya.V Newbie
    Hi,

I will zip the backup copies for reclaiming more space. So, since files are not present there is it displaying as expired.

Once I unzip the files and try for a crosscheck, will it work??
  • 5. Re: Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i
    Shivananda Rao Guru
    Hello Vidhya,

Yes, once you unzip the files to the location where you had backed them up and do a crosscheck, RMAN would consider the backups to be AVAILABLE.

If you would be unzipping the files to a different location, then you may have to use the "catalog backuppiece <name>" command to make those backup pieces available. But since you are on 9i, I don't think it supports "catalog..." command. So you have to unzip it to the location where you took the backup.

Regards,
    Shivananda
  • 6. Re: Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i
    EdStevens Guru
    Vidhya.V wrote:
    Hi,

I will zip the backup copies for reclaiming more space. So, since files are not present there is it displaying as expired.

Once I unzip the files and try for a crosscheck, will it work??
    I've never tested trying to "unexpire" a backup piece once it is marked as 'expired', but it sounds reasonable. It would be easy enough for you test for yourself. If that is going to be your strategy, then you need to make sure you never do a 'delete expired'. That command will cause rman to remove the entries of the 'expired' backups from its repository. Then if you tried to 'unexpire' by restoring your backups and re-running 'crosscheck', the entries in the repository are no longer there to BE crosschecked. And since you are running the very obsolete 9i, you can't recatalog them. And since that strategy means never issuing a 'delete expired', your control file will continue to grow ad infinitum because you will NEVER be able to clean up old entries.

SO, while you can probably make your strategy work, it is very weak on several counts:
    1) you are running a totally unsupported version of oracle. Is your OS and hardware equally old and unsupported, or does your organization believe that only the rdbms software is "expendable"? I would not want to be around when your database goes belly-up, putting your company's survival on the line, and Oracle support says "xin loi".
    2) your strategy is based on trying to save disk space, but disk is astoundingly cheap. Just how big are your backups and what is your business requirement for retention/recovery?
  • 7. Re: Crosscheck backup in RMAN - Oracle 9i
    Vidhya.V Newbie
    Hello Shivananda,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply. I tried this by unzipping the files and it worked now.

Regards,
    Vidhya

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points