This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 12:26 PM by user12159859 RSS

cross platform compatibility

user12159859 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello my friends,

I have a quick question to give someone some quick points for the correct answer.

I am currently running Oracle 11.2.0.2 in a DG configuration (w/DG Broker, but no fast start failover).

The hardware is HP DL360 for both primary and standby databases, running Solaris 10 operating system.

My goal is to move our current DG configuration off of the Solaris platform and onto Linux with minimal (or no) downtime.

My plan is to create a second standby database on a HP DL 580 running Redhat Linux 5.7.

My question is if there are any problems with the operating system of the standby database being different than the primary?

If not, then once I can get the new standby running on the new Linux operating system, I plan to break the mirror and bring up the new standby as primary and set up a new standby on another linux server.

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Jim
  • 1. Re: cross platform compatibility
    mseberg Guru
    Jim;

The Oracle support doc :

Data Guard Support for Heterogeneous Primary and Physical Standbys in Same Data Guard Configuration [ID 413484.1]

Has a decoder ring for this. But the way I read it, those two don't play together.

Best Regards

Also :

Data Guard Support for Heterogeneous Primary and Logical Standbys in Same Data Guard Configuration [ID 1085687.1]

mseberg

Edited by: mseberg on Jan 8, 2013 2:47 PM
  • 2. Re: cross platform compatibility
    user12159859 Newbie
    Oh... :-(

I was worried about that.

Let me look over the document.
    Thank you for finding it for me.

Jim
  • 3. Re: cross platform compatibility
    user12159859 Newbie
    Well, as typical for Oracle, it is hard to get a clear understanding of the compatibility.

I read the article over 3 times and also looked at note: 1079563.1 and still can't be sure either way.

It seems I may have to submit an SR for the answer.

From the 413484.1 note, it seems that Oracle supported cross-platforms (although not using OEM).
    Differences between the primary server(s) and the standby server(s) are always supported as long as the Oracle software installed on all servers is of the same Oracle Platform as defined above, is certified to run on each server, and is the same Oracle Database Release and Patch Set.  Examples of such differences that are supported include the following:

Hardware manufacturer (e.g. Dell and Sun or Hitachi and EMC)
        Hardware configuration (e.g. number of CPUs, amount of RAM, storage configuration, etc)
        Processor (e.g. x86-64 AMD64 and x86-64 Intel 64; POWER4 and POWER5)
        Operating system distribution (e.g. Red Hat Linux, SUSE Linux or Oracle Enterprise Linux)
        Operating system version (e.g. Windows 2000 and Windows XP)

2. If Platform ID's for your primary and standby are different, check the table below to see if you have a supported configuration for Data Guard Redo Apply (Physical Standby)
    In addition to general support when using the same Oracle platform, Data Guard Redo Apply (physical standby) can support specific mixed Oracle Platform combinations.  Oracle Platform IDs, platform names, and which combinations of platform ID(s) that can be combined to form a supported Data Guard configuration using Redo Apply are listed in the table below.  Platform combinations not listed in the table below are not supported using Data Guard Redo Apply.
  • 4. Re: cross platform compatibility
    mseberg Guru
    Agreed. The extra document :

Role Transitions for Data Guard Configurations Using Mixed Oracle Binaries [ID 414043.1]

Does not bring much else to light.

When I look at the table in the first document Solaris does not appear to play well with much of anything.

These are kind of interesting too :

Migrating from a Solaris Platform to a Linux Platform While Upgrading

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E12530_01/oam.1014/b32416/sol_linx.htm

http://www.pythian.com/news/3653/howto-oracle-cross-platform-migration-with-minimal-downtime/

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 5. Re: cross platform compatibility
    user12159859 Newbie
    Well, I opened an SR with Oracle, and I explained that I read the documents noted herein above.
    The analyst at Oracle obviously did not read my SR and suggested I read the same documents I noted to him.

First he states:
    Oracle requires the same hardware architecture on Primary and all Standby sites.
    It also requires the same patchset on both Primary and Standby.
    Then, I referenced in one of the documents to him:
    "As of Oracle Database 11g, Data Guard provides increased flexibility for Data Guard configurations"
    " in which the primary and standby systems may have different CPU architectures, operating systems"
    " (for example, Windows & Linux), operating system binaries (32-bit/64-bit), or Oracle database binaries (32-bit/64-bit)."

"This increased mixed-platform flexibility is subject to the current restrictions documented in the "
    " My Oracle Support notes 413484.1 and 1085687.1 at http://support.oracle.com."
    Finally, his response:
    According to our certification matrix -
    Data Guard Support for Heterogeneous Primary and Physical Standbys in Same Data Guard Configuration (Doc ID 413484.1)

HP hardware and linux OS are not supported 
    I really have to question his accuracy and/or ability to understand Oracle's matrix.

Any suggestions?
  • 6. Re: cross platform compatibility
    mseberg Guru
    Jim;

I would ask him to escalate the SR. Tell him you need a second opinion because of the time and costs involved.

Looks like you have done everything right to me.

It seems very odd that HP DL360 hardware is not supported with Linux.

I'm sorry for all your hassle.

Best Regards

mseberg
  • 7. Re: cross platform compatibility
    user12159859 Newbie
    Thank you for your support.
    I agree, and that's what I'll do.
    Thanks again.

Jim

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points