This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 5:30 AM by John-MK RSS

runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?

John-MK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

In a couple of days I have to upgrade 2 node RAC DB to 11.2.0.3. DB version is 10.2.0.4. OS=SELINUX 11. For the purpose of preparation, I want to run CLUSTER VERIFY UTILITY.
grid@db [db1]: /home/grid > crsctl query crs softwareversion
Oracle Clusterware version on node [db] is [11.2.0.1.0]
Should I unzip new GI 11.2.0.3 software and run ./runcluvfy.sh from new home? Should I created DESTINATION HOME before (e.g. /oracle/app/11.2.0.3/grid). Running runcluvfy from user grid or oracle? Is it okay to run cluster verify utility NOW (upgrade is in a couple of days), is it risk free?

runcluvfy.sh stage -pre crsinst -upgrade [-n node_list] [-rolling] -src_crshome src_Gridhome -dest_crshome dest_Gridhome -dest_version dest_version [-fixup [-fixupdir path]] [-verbose]

Also, looking from official upgrade guide ( no idea is this a correct link considering the scenario: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e22489/procstop.htm)

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards
  • 1. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    Sebastian Solbach (DBA Community) Guru
    Hi John,

the newest cluvfy you find here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/products/clustering/downloads/cvu-download-homepage-099973.html
    No need to install 11.2.0.3 to get it... (but you will have to install it anyway).

Running cluvfy is risk free, since it only checks the status.
    If you install 11.2.0.3 it will automatically run cluvfy in the installer as well, so why not check it first in preparation...

Use
    otn.oracle.com/documentation
    and follow the links to always get the newest one. There might be a newer doc, but from the look it looks o.k.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 2. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    486778 Newbie
    Hi,
    If you have access to Oracle support I will suggest you read document ID 837570.1 and if possible carry out the upgrade in a RAC test environment before you do the same in your production environment.
    Cheers
    Samuel K
  • 3. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    Hi Sebastian,

Thank you very much for the reply.

I do not see CLUSTER VERIFY UTILITY download option from the link you gave me, only readme is available for download.

What I understand from you reply is:

Before I install new cluster 11.2.0.3 home, I can directly download cluvfy utility and run it to prepare in advance? destination_home of new cluster will be given just by assuming?

Best Regards,

@Samuel
    Unfortunately, there is no TEST RAC system, test systems from these dbs are only single instance. Therefore, I have to perform upgrade directly on PROD RAC DBs.

Edited by: John-MK on Jan 10, 2013 1:02 PM
  • 4. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    P.Forstmann Guru
    You need to click on Accept button displayed below "You must accept the OTN License Agreement to download this software".

Then click on your platform name link displayed below the OTN License Agreement to download the CVU for your platform.
  • 5. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    Hi,

Thank you for the reply.

I am getting the following error. I think missing some little thing but mind stuck. Could you please suggest ? some path is wrong or what? I have downloaded cluster verify utility, unzipped on the db machine in the directory cv, and run but in vain. Also, run from the GRID_HOME/bin but getting the same error: -bash: ./runcluvfy.sh: No such file or directory
    grid@db1 [ee]: /home/grid/cv > ls -l
    total 42752
    drwxrwxr-x 2 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 bin/
    drwxrwxr-x 8 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 cv/
    -rw-r--r-- 1 grid oinstall 43695964 2013-01-10 14:43 cvupack_Linux_x86_64.zip
    drwxrwxr-x 3 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 jdbc/
    drwxrwxr-x 3 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 jdk/
    drwxrwxr-x 2 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 jlib/
    drwxrwxr-x 2 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 lib/
    drwxrwxr-x 4 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 oui/
    drwxrwxr-x 2 grid oinstall     4096 2012-02-07 09:08 rpm/

grid@db1 [ee]: /home/grid/cv > ./runcluvfy.sh stage -pre crsinst -upgrade -n dba01px,dba02px -rolling -src_crshome /oracle/app/11.2.0/grid -dest_crshome /oracle/app/grid/11.2.0.3/grid -dest_version 11.2.0.3.0 -fixup -fixupdir /home/grid/fixup -verbose
    -bash: ./runcluvfy.sh: No such file or directory

grid@db1 [ee]: /home/grid/cv > cd bin/
    grid@db1 [ee]: /home/grid/cv/bin > ./runcluvfy.sh stage -pre crsinst -upgrade -n db1,db2 -rolling -src_crshome /oracle/app/11.2.0/grid -dest_crshome /oracle/app/grid/11.2.0.3/grid -dest_version 11.2.0.3.0 -fixup -fixupdir /home/grid/fixup -verbose
    -bash: ./runcluvfy.sh: No such file or directory

grid@db1 [ee]: /home/grid/cv/bin > echo $ORACLE_HOME
    /oracle/app/11.2.0/grid

Best Regards
  • 6. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    Hi John,

how about looking in the bin directory?

/home/grid/cv/bin/runclufvy ...

And in the GI Home/bin it is just cluvfy, without "run"

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 7. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    Hello Sebastian,

Thank you once again.

I tried it in different ways but then I realized that this script does not exist any where, therefore I downloaded and unzipped p10404530_112030_Linux-x86-64_3of7.zip (for installing GI), just for seeing it at the moment under user oracle, and its running "at the moment".

It would be interesting to see the results of cluvfy. I hope no errors come, and will post the result as soon as it is done.

Thanks.

Best Regards
  • 8. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    I have to stop this utility, suddenly I noticed that as the utility was running and running, meanwhile Listener died. I had to restart the listener. Dont know should I continue with it again or not..

You said, its risk free,,true but Listener went down after the command was running from the last 5,7 minutes, and dont know what else can go down :(
  • 9. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    Hi,

this really is strange, since I always let cluvfy run.

And by the way with 11.2. clusterware will automatically call cluvfy every 6 hours. So it definitely does not break anything.
    I really wonder, what happened there, as to normally cluvfy finishes in less than 5 minutes....

As what user did you try to execute cluvfy?

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 10. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    I run it with user ORACLE, may be this was the mistake or what. As user grid also exist as can be seen from my above posts. I try to create with directory with user grid initially, but I configuration of the machine (I have not set it up) I was not able to mkdir with user grid ...owner is root there I think.
    oracle@db1 [ee]: /oracle/work/cluvf/grid > ./runcluvfy.sh stage -pre crsinst -upgrade -n db1,db2px -rolling -src_crshome /oracle/app/11.2.0/grid -dest_crshome /oracle/app/grid/11.2.0.3/grid -dest_version 11.2.0.3.0 -fixup -fixupdir /home/oracle/fixup -verbose

Performing pre-checks for cluster services setup 

Checking node reachability...

Check: Node reachability from node "db1"
      Destination Node                      Reachable?              
      ------------------------------------  ------------------------
      db2px                               yes                     
      db1px                               yes                     
    Result: Node reachability check passed from node "db1px"

Checking user equivalence...

Check: User equivalence for user "oracle"
      Node Name                             Status                  
      ------------------------------------  ------------------------
      db1px                               passed                  
      db2px                               passed                  
    Result: User equivalence check passed for user "oracle"
    - -- so I cancel it here

It means it was in hanging state in my case, isnt it?

One more thought: At following location I unzipped 30f7 installation file and then used ./runcluvf.sh -- Is it okay? or something need to be install first or so?? confused ...
    oracle@db1 [ee]: /oracle/work/cluvf/grid > ls -l
    total 72
    drwxr-xr-x 9 oracle oinstall 4096 2011-09-22 09:41 doc/
    drwxr-xr-x 4 oracle oinstall 4096 2011-09-22 09:44 install/
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 28122 2011-09-22 10:57 readme.html*
    drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oinstall 4096 2011-09-22 09:44 response/
    drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oinstall 4096 2011-09-22 09:44 rpm/
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 4878 2011-09-22 09:09 runcluvfy.sh*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 3227 2011-09-22 09:09 runInstaller*
    drwxr-xr-x 2 oracle oinstall 4096 2011-09-22 09:44 sshsetup/
    drwxr-xr-x 14 oracle oinstall 4096 2011-09-22 09:44 stage/
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 oracle oinstall 4326 2011-09-02 05:46 welcome.html*

Regards

Edited by: John-MK on Jan 10, 2013 5:03 PM

Edited by: John-MK on Jan 10, 2013 5:09 PM
  • 11. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    Just one more thought for tomorrow before leaving for today.

As you suggested in one of your post above. That I may run it from bin but with cluvfy as it is shown be following. It is a cluster verify utility, opposite to the procedure I adopted above, by unzipping 3of7 (new 11.2.0.3) and running utility from there but hanged unfortunately and listener died in the PROD environment...

grid@db1 [ee]: /home/grid/cv/bin > ls -l
    total 212
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 grid oinstall 8553 2012-02-07 09:08 cluvfy*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 grid oinstall 60761 2012-02-07 09:08 lsnodes*
    -rwxrwxr-x 1 grid oinstall 134438 2012-02-07 09:08 oifcfg*

Thank you.

Best Regards
  • 12. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    Hi,

cluvfy stage -pre crsinst -upgrade -n db1,db2 -rolling -src_crshome /oracle/app/11.2.0/grid -dest_crshome /oracle/app/grid/11.2.0.3/grid -dest_version 11.2.0.3.0 worked for me from the cluster verify downloaded/bin... Than you for your suggestion.

I have resolved one other cluvfy failure was something ntp related... Only PATCH 9413827 is missing, any suggestion please? Do I need to apply this patch directly or some other PSU which will cover this patch?

Check for Oracle patch "9413827" in home "/oracle/app/11.2.0/grid" failed
    Check failed on nodes:
    db1,db2

Best Regards
  • 13. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    Hi John,

first of all, the installation/cluvfy check should be done with the user, who has installed the 10.2 grid software.
    If that was grid user, then you should run cluvfy with that user, if it was oracle use oracle. But since 10.2 was not named grid infrastructure but clusterware I strongly doubt that it was the grid user who installed 10.2. More likely it was oracle or if at all crs. BTW: It is not possible to change the owning users when upgrading.

So I assume you have to use the user ORACLE.
    Furthermore before running the new cluvfy, check if the old clufvy (in the old clusterware 10.2 home) works correctly, by invoking it with cluvfy -post crsinst (and setting your environment to the 10.2 clusterware home).
    If this does not run through either, then you have a general environment problem on your computer.

For running cluvfy from the 11.2. home, you should not have any ORACLE variables set. If you envocing oracle user has env variables set (TNS_ALIAS etc.) this might get cluvfy a little bit disoriented. Very important: NEVER set CRS_HOME.

So let me know the outcome of:
    a.) RUN cluvfy from 10.2 clusterware home with the owner owning the clusterware. (Check your ENV)
    b.) RUN cluvfy from the download you did (the one from 11.2.0.3 DVD/image might be older) then the one downloaded from OTN. You definitely find the cluvfy executable in there. Make sure you run it as the same user as used for a.) and unset every ORACLE variable.
    c.) You might also want to have a search in MOS for racchk utility, which actually does a health check of your actual system (10.2), before upgrading.

Regards
    Sebastian
  • 14. Re: runcluvfy.sh before upgrading cluster, how and where?
    John-MK Newbie
    Hi Sebastian,

Thanks a lot for the detail reply.

Have you seen my above post?

On the machine, there are two user of course, GRID and ORACLE, GI is 11.2.0.1 version and DB is 10.2.0.4 with user ORACLE.

I run cluvfy from the downloaded version from OTN you suggested. Created one directory at /home/grid and run the cluvfy (complete command in the above post) from this bin with the user GRID.

I hope it should be okay now, or you still doubt and wants the outcome of your queries?

Thanks and regards
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points