This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 12:40 PM by bigdelboy RSS

1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I

Philippe Ludwig Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I passed 1ZO-051 SQL Fundamentals I without dumps. I invested quite a lot of sweat.
I was sitting so many hours and weekends with study guides and virtual lab. No girls and no beer :-(

Now have questions about 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I

- what exam is less complicated? Easier?
- where less time for preparation?

I have no previous knowledge for both exams.
  • 1. Re: 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I
    Roger25 Explorer
    Both exams have nothing in common, they are from different categories. 1Z0-803 is Java and the other is related to Oracle Database Administration.
    It's improper to ask "which exam is easier", since they are total different

Take a look at http://education.oracle.com/pls/web_prod-plq-dad/db_pages.getpage?page_id=5001&get_params=p_exam_id:1Z0-803&p_org_id=28&lang=US vs. http://www.oracle.com/partners/en/knowledge-zone/database/oracle-database-11g/1z0-052-exam-page-169362.html
    I would not suggest 1Z0-803 nor 1Z0-052 for you, but look for PL/SQL certification exams (see for 1Z0-144 and maybe 1Z0-046).

Further, it is you job what you choose.
  • 2. Re: 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I
    matthew_morris Expert
    Now have questions about 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I
    As Roger indicated, these exams are completely unrelated and so can't really be compared. What concerns me in you asking about them is that you should be choosing certifications that complement either your current or desired career paths. Those two tests are along very different career paths. Are you intending to be a DBA or a Java Developer. Generally someone isn't both. I've known people who mixed PL/SQL and DBA skills (including myself), but Java developers tend to be... Java developers.

In order to pick the next certification you want to pursue, you need to decide what your career path is and pick a certification that will assist you in it. Picking certifications out of a hat, or going after them because they are 'easy' isn't really a wise decision.
  • 3. Re: 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I
    bigdelboy Pro
    In order to pick the next certification you want to pursue, you need to decide what your career path is and pick a certification that will assist you in it. Picking certifications out of a hat, or going after them because they are 'easy' isn't really a wise decision.
    I was preparing an answer similar to Roger's and Matthew's ... with my usual comments satisfy your lustings, which were luckily beaten by those two posts before I got myself in trouble with Billy etc.

IMHO Matthew's comment here is key. you need to decide what your career path is

I'd perhaps also like to add, and I may be wrong in this, that the best way to get into I.T. might be an ITIL (foundation) or ISEB (testing) certifcation. These are in fact on occasion being required in a few jobs advertisements in the UK. It can often be service desk or testing where the opening comes up. Having said that I have neither certification, though studying for the former might be very tedious indeed. Usully if I nake this suggestion people say these are not for thm, and I can fully respect that also.
  • 4. Re: 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I
    Philippe Ludwig Newbie
    I work in first level support for Oracle products (7/24)

Edited by: Philippe Ludwig on Jan 15, 2013 8:48 AM
  • 5. Re: 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I
    matthew_morris Expert
    OK:

First level support for Oracle is what you do. Is it what you want to be doing in two years? In five years? Did you want to be part of the second level team or be at a different company entirely?

Before I worked for Oracle, I worked tech support for a company that made software for optical drives. I was one of the most knowledgeable techs there, but I knew there was no future with that company (I was correct... it no longer exists). When a local Oracle support center started hiring, I jumped at a chance for a job with them because I knew that knowledge of Oracle would give me a career. When I started at Oracle, I was first-level support. First level-support, however, wasn't my goal. Most of the techs quickly picked up one or two specialty knowledge areas so that they could become the 'go-to-guy' for that area. I learned as much as I could about a wide range of topics because in the end I knew that would make me more valuable if (when) I left Oracle.

You need to decide what your plan is and what will help you get there. If Solaris is boring, don't get more Solaris certifications just because they're easy. Decide which look to be the most interesting to you that will also help your career. Getting a certification for something that would help your career, but you would hate doing isn't wise (likewise something that you would like to be doing, but don't have a career path to).
  • 6. Re: 1Z0-803 Java SE 7 Programmer I vs. 1Z0-052 Administration I
    bigdelboy Pro
    Philippe Ludwig wrote:
    I work in first level support for Oracle products (7/24). We have hunderts of tickets each day. If we can't solve, we forward to second level.
    Ooh la la ! Je pense que dans votre profile vous dit je suis student ;-)
    I our team everybody have different know how. I am strong in Solaris and solve this tickets
    (I worked with Solaris long bevore it was an Oracle product). Because I studied SQL can now solve sometimes also Oracle SQL tickts.
    Greate feedback to hear the study was worth it.
    But Solaris is boring for me,
    Beware meeting user 903312 or others
    because do it so many years. I wish to learn new topics and I also wish to get certificate (because boss gives more money).
    I was shocked that Oracle exams so complicated. Sun exams was much easier :-) For example I got Sun Certified Security Administrator
    without studying and without dumps.
    Well I found 1z0-051 exam easy and solaris exams difficult ... whereas the Solaris Securty exam would be a big challenge to me. The greater percentage of topics you've already worked with on the exams the easier the exam will seem. Experience and practice can sometimes make you answer a question correctly that otherwise you would struggle with.

Interesting the background you've given would proably mean of the two exams in the subject title the 1z0-052 would seem to have more synergy with what you are already doing and you may have some opportunity to put occasional bits to use in your current job. .... However it may be more important to relealistically prepare for your career progression. In general I think certifiying the ara your actually working on is important ... but not if it would pidgeon-hole you from where you want to go!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points