This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 4:16 PM by robvarga RSS

Missing entries in write-behing caching!

982729 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I am accessing write-behind cache in my coherence cluster from app server. Below is my scheme,

<distributed-scheme>

<scheme-name>example-cache-scheme</scheme-name>

<service-name>DistributedCache</service-name>

<thread-count>50</thread-count>

<backing-map-scheme>

<!-- Read-write-backing-map caching scheme. -->

<read-write-backing-map-scheme>

<scheme-name>ExampleCacheScheme</scheme-name>

<internal-cache-scheme>

<local-scheme>

<scheme-ref>noneviction</scheme-ref>

</local-scheme>

</internal-cache-scheme>

<write-max-batch-size>300</write-max-batch-size>

<cachestore-scheme>

<class-scheme>

<class-name>com.example.store.ExampleCacheStore

</class-name>

</class-scheme>

</cachestore-scheme>

<write-delay>2s</write-delay>

<write-batch-factor>1.0<;/write-batch-factor>

</read-write-backing-map-scheme>

</backing-map-scheme>

</distributed-scheme>

Always few entries are no communicated to store()/storeAll() method. For example if I put 10 entries only 4 entries are notified to storeAll() !!

What could be the issue ? Am I missing something ?

Thanks
Maria
  • 1. Re: Missing entries in write-behing caching!
    user738616 Pro
    Hi Maria,

As the method name and signature suggests storeAll() commits a set of entries and not a single entry. So your 10 entries are committed in 4 batches.

HTH

Cheers,
    NJ
  • 2. Re: Missing entries in write-behing caching!
    982729 Newbie
    Hi NJ,

You are right. Entries can be batched up. But I have mentioned <write-batch-factor>1.0<;/write-batch-factor> and <write-max-batch-size>300</write-max-batch-size> .
    Which says my batch size could be anything <=300 , and write-batch-factor=1.0 which should consider soft-ripe entries also. So , if I put 10 entries (without any delay) definitely all 10 must come as a batch.

Here I am getting only 4 entries in storeAll() and the rest 6 entries are never received !!
    Is it a bug with read-write-backing-map ? I am clueless !

Thanks
    Maria
  • 3. Re: Missing entries in write-behing caching!
    user738616 Pro
    Hi Maria,

No there are no bugs with the read-write-backing-map scheme and this product feature is available from long time so I really don't think it is an issue with Coherence. Please check:

- How many storage enabled nodes are running in your Cluster? Are you capturing the storeAll() call on all the nodes?
    - Is your client application storage-disabled and if not then are you capturing storeAll() calls on the client node as well?

Remember all the storage enabled nodes will invoke storeAll() for the data that they are owners for primary partitions.

HTH

Cheers,
    _NJ                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
  • 4. Re: Missing entries in write-behing caching!
    879423 Newbie
    Hi
    I assume that you at least get the very last value you entered from the batch of 10 in the database. If that is the case it may be that you are getting coalesced writes which (at least as far as I've been told) can happen before the write behind thread has woken up. Have you experimented with lowering the write behind value and seeing if you get the same behaviour?
  • 5. Re: Missing entries in write-behing caching!
    robvarga Oracle ACE
    Jestina.Nancy wrote:
    Hi NJ,

You are right. Entries can be batched up. But I have mentioned <write-batch-factor>1.0<;/write-batch-factor> and <write-max-batch-size>300</write-max-batch-size> .
    Which says my batch size could be anything <=300 , and write-batch-factor=1.0 which should consider soft-ripe entries also. So , if I put 10 entries (without any delay) definitely all 10 must come as a batch.

Here I am getting only 4 entries in storeAll() and the rest 6 entries are never received !!
    Is it a bug with read-write-backing-map ? I am clueless !

Thanks
    Maria
    Hi Maria,

did you enable logging in the single entry store() method too? If you have multiple nodes, it is possible that only a single changed entry was on a node in which case store() would be invoked and not storeAll().

Best regards,

Rob

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points