This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 2:28 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Java Platform SE Binary has stopped working error

984174 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I've a problem when trying to connect to the binary Excel file using JDBC:ODBC driver. The code throws JAVA Platform SE binary has stopped Working error. I'm using Eclipse client to work with Java. Please find below the code that i'm using:

String filePath = "C:\\Test\\"
String fileName = "test.xlsb"
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:odbc:Driver={Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx, *.xlsm, *.xlsb)};DBQ=" + filePath + fileName + ";READONLY=FALSE");

The error is thrown for DriverManager.getConnection. Can anyone help me to solve this?

Thanks
  • 1. Re: Java Platform SE Binary has stopped working error
    939520 Explorer
    I suggest you post a stacktrace of exactly what the error message is so we can take a look at it. Until then, two things come to mind. One is there may be some data in your document that is causing the failure. I suggest you create a new document with very simple data in it and see if it works. The second idea is what version/type of Excel document are you working with? See if another version/type will work. Lastly, you can try a newer or older version of java, however I doubt that is the problem.
  • 2. Re: Java Platform SE Binary has stopped working error
    gimbal2 Guru
    936517 wrote:
    I suggest you post a stacktrace of exactly what the error message is so we can take a look at it.
    If you read carefully you'll note that the OP is getting the windows "this crud has stopped working" error, which implies a native crash. There is no stacktrace to speak of and in this case I am inclined to believe it has nothing to do with Java but more with whatever ODBC stuff is being invoked.
    Lastly, you can try a newer or older version of java, however I doubt that is the problem.
    I would hold off giving such advice when referring to an entire platform (so for APIs or drivers its not a big deal) until there is a reason to suspect this may help, don't give it as general advice. It only helps to create a sense of distrust towards the platform when even in OTN you get such advice right off the bat.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points