1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply: May 13, 2013 9:44 PM by Manik Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
        BluShadow
        Boneist wrote:
        Dude wrote:
        I find it too hard to believe that the majority of IT people posting here forgets to mention the product version because they are lazy or idjuts, or think its not important.
        On the contrary, I find it easy to believe that people just forget or don't realise they need to add it or whatever; I've forgotten to add the version number on more than one occasion (usually despite the fact that I've said to myself "don't forget to put the version number in!" during the writing of the post!) - yes, I really am that forgetful. Sometimes you get too bogged down in your issue and, in your haste to try and put as much info out there, you forget to add the basics!

{noformat}*shrugs*{noformat} Everyone can be forgetful, blinkered and just plain dumb upon occasion; it's the context of the forum posting that determines whether it's endemic or transient *{;-)
        I think it your wooly hat... it befuddles your brain. ;)
        • 16. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
          Boneist
          BluShadow wrote:
          haha! At least it's warm, which is a god-send in this weather! *{;-)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
          • 17. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
            Nicolas.Gasparotto
            I can imagine that the majority of people who are not providing at least the version of Oracle software involved, are simply paranoid and afraid to provide such info, for instance, because they are using software features for which they have no licensing
            So, you defined most of the people as criminals ? Good. So why are you helping them, taking risk to be accomplice ?
            Well, I'm suspicious of anything that seems strange to me. Why would someone you describe discuss a problem in a public forum rather than opening a SR with Oracle?
            Again, why were you helping anonymously such people you defined more than 5,000 times for free and for more than a decade ? That's suspicious.

Whether all is not gentle in this world, I'm sure the majority of people want to be respectful of the laws.

Nicolas.
            • 18. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
              Dude!
              So, you defined most of the people as criminals ? Good. So why are you helping them, taking risk to be accomplice ?
              No, and sorry if I made this kind of impression. I don't think this is what I was writing though. To my understanding, being paranoid or having a suspicion is not criminal. Personally I really don't care if someone has a license or not. It's not my problem and does not concern me in the slightest. I was just trying to find an example what could be reason why someone has a technical question and is making a secret about what they are using, which seems very odd to me.
              Again, why were you helping anonymously such people you defined more than 5,000 times for free and for more than a decade ? That's suspicious.
              I have this account for quite a while, but did not use it and only started to answer posts until a couple of years ago. I find the forum a good way to improve my communication skills, since English is not my native language, and I think it is fun and often challenging to help others, while trying to foster and gain some technical knowledge and experience myself. So I guess my motivation to participate here is rather for a selfish reason. Everything to do with computers has been my hobby and profession for a long time.
              • 19. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                Dude!
                You are right. It's all common sense at the end. I'm not convinced though that the majority of customers really care about using the forum to reduce Oracle's support costs, but everyone certainly wants a quick answer. And yes, I also see the reason for the forum to exchange ideas and information beside support, and as an alternative to some extend for those who do not have Oracle support.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I hope not, because including your arguments provides even less reasons why some people would not mention their product versions. Maybe these posts or people we are talking about are just lazy and didn't think much about it, but don't you think it is strange, at least to my experience, that many of such posts or people refuse to provide any kind of feedback when being asked?

This is all about technical issues and I too think it makes no sense to ask a technical question and withhold information about the product in use. It takes less than a couple of seconds to write I'm using Oracle Enterprise 11g 11.2.0.3 or RHEL 5.6. What's there to be lazy about? Apparently some people see this differently, and I was just wondering what could be the possible reasons.
                • 20. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                  Dude!
                  On occasion, but I assume you had no problem to correct your mistake or provide the missing information when being asked? That's where I would see a fundamental difference to the posts I was talking about.
                  • 21. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                    jgarry
                    Some of it may be the habit of using IM or social media, where everything is over-truncated. A few extra characters on a phone could be a big deal, even socially unacceptable. They may also be used to a homogenous environment, where everything and everyone they are in contact with is using whatever they are using.

It's laziness only if they should know better and keep doing it. That is certainly often the case.

Ignorance is easily solved. Obviously we have something else going on here, and not just one thing.

Common sense is so variable that it is not a good answer for anything. The NRA says it's common sense that people who have guns don't have to worry so much about burglars. So someone publishes a map of gun owners, and they get targeted by burglars. The NRA says it is common sense to arm teachers... that's not going to end well.
                    • 22. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                      Dude!
                      Common sense isn't international or necessarily applies to special interest groups.

I consider it common sense for instance that Oracle support will make you fill out a form and asks all kinds of details about your product and system environment. What will happen if a customer ignores this request or returns, "sorry I'm not giving you that information"?

What seems to be my experience at the moment, is that the majority of posts that require information about product versions usually remain unanswered. Actually it might be that the number of posts ending up orphaned and lack of feedback seems to be increasing too. To me that is not laziness or naive, but ignorance that has a reason. What would happen if you force these people to fill out product information?

I think it might be more useful to give people some "motivation" to mark questions as answered or abandoned. For instance by not allowing new postings if there are more than 5 postings left orphaned. I think there was nothing wrong in setting the right incentives to improve communication.

Edited by: Dude on Jan 15, 2013 3:58 PM
                      • 23. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                        Billy~Verreynne
                        Boneist wrote:
                        BluShadow wrote:
                        37c predicted as the temperature high today. This morning, I drove though broken beer bottles and beer on the highway (beer truck on overpass bridge dropped its load on the highway below).

The usual summer's day down here in the colonies - no need for wooly hats. Though trumpets and brass are fine. ;-)
                        • 24. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                          Billy~Verreynne
                          Dude wrote:

To me that is not laziness or naive, but ignorance that has a reason.
                          Quite correct.

The reason is often stupidity.

;-)
                          • 25. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                            jgarry
                            Billy  Verreynne  wrote:
                            Boneist wrote:
                            BluShadow wrote:
                            37c predicted as the temperature high today. This morning, I drove though broken beer bottles and beer on the highway (beer truck on overpass bridge dropped its load on the highway below).
                            Life imitates art. There was a bad movie (Gridlock, aka Great American Traffic Jam) where a truck carrying Oranges and one carrying vodka collide on an interchange. [url http://pics.imcdb.org/0is42/28865514.4489.jpg ] This is the best darn accident Ive ever been to.
                            • 26. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                              Dude!
                              Well, I suppose speaking of the weather and bear bottles on the street closes this type of discussion. But it always makes me wonder if people got tired of the subject or run out of arguments and now belittle the issue? Personally I'm tired of the subject now, but the later was such a typical human behavior. ;-)

btw, I think I'm allergic to leather. Everytime I wake up with a bad hat I slept with my shoes on.

Edited by: Dude on Jan 17, 2013 4:15 AM
                              • 27. Re: Mandatory text box for oracle verison
                                Manik
                                THANKS!
                                1 2 Previous Next