This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 15, 2013 10:44 PM by kgronau RSS

SQLServer to Oracle - Strategy and Tool

966684 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All,

Regarding Migration from sqlserver to Oracle I have the following questions;

1) If I use Oracle sqldeveloper as a migration tool, does it support any platform for Oracle DB as a target.

2) With Oracle sqldeveloper can we migrate large DB's. Any Benchmark time for large DB's say 200-300G.

3) Any other method which can be used to Migrate

Thanks
  • 1. Re: SQLServer to Oracle - Strategy and Tool
    kgronau Guru
    Currently Being Moderated
    1) If I use Oracle sqldeveloper as a migration tool, does it support any platform for Oracle DB as a target.
    => yes it does.

2) With Oracle sqldeveloper can we migrate large DB's. Any Benchmark time for large DB's say 200-300G.
    Yes you can. SQl Developer allows you to migrate in an ONLINE and OFFLINE mode the data. For a large amount of data the online method is a worse option to choose. You'd better use the offline data move based on SQL*Loader which you can then run on the database server directly w/o any network delay and you can also run it in parallel. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any benchmarks, but it is always a good idea to check out http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/migration/index-084442.html whcih provides a lot of details and migration white papers.

3) Any other method which can be used to Migrate
    => use GoldenGate which allows you to replicate data between Oracle and SQL Server.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points