8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 11, 2013 12:27 PM by jgarry RSS

emca is unable to connect through the listener

hi guys,

I'm trying to configure EM on a 11gR2 installation using emca, but emca seems to have problems connecting through the listener:

emca -config dbcontrol db -repos recreate

Jan 11, 2013 4:32:14 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager checkListenerStatusForDBControl
      WARNING: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Jan 11, 2013 4:32:14 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
      SEVERE:

Database connection through listener failed. Fix the error and run EM Configuration Assistant again.

Refer to the log file at /opt/oracle/cfgtoollogs/emca/corpus/emca_2013_01_11_16_31_59.log for more details.
      Jan 11, 2013 4:32:14 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
      CONFIG: Stack Trace:
      oracle.sysman.emcp.exception.EMConfigException:

Database connection through listener failed. Fix the error and run EM Configuration Assistant again.

Some of the possible reasons may be:

+1) Listener port 1521 provided is incorrect. Provide the correct port.+
      +2) Listener is not up. Start the Listener.+
      +3) Database service db1.blahblah is not registered with listener. Register the database service.+
      +4) Listener is up on physical host and ORACLE_HOSTNAME environment variable is set to virtual host. Unset ORACLE_HOSTNAME environment variable.+
      +5) Listener is up on virtual host. Set environment variable ORACLE_HOSTNAME=<virtual host>.+
      +6) /etc/hosts does not have correct entry for hostname.+

at oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager.checkListenerStatusForDBControl(ParamsManager.java:3342)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMDBPreConfig.performConfiguration(EMDBPreConfig.java:858)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMDBPreConfig.invoke(EMDBPreConfig.java:288)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMDBPreConfig.invoke(EMDBPreConfig.java:198)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig.perform(EMConfig.java:250)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.invokeEMCA(EMConfigAssistant.java:599)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.performConfiguration(EMConfigAssistant.java:1482)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.statusMain(EMConfigAssistant.java:583)
      at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfigAssistant.main(EMConfigAssistant.java:529)
      Jan 11, 2013 4:32:14 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig restoreOuiLoc
      CONFIG: Restoring oracle.installer.oui_loc to /opt/oracle/product/11gR2/oui

But he possible reasons which the error log is suggesting, are all fine as I can see it.

I've configured the listener to a virtual IP. So the hostname and the listener hostname are different. But I also already tried to set ORACLE_HOSTNAME to the listener hostname. Also already tried to set the virtual IP beeing the first entry within /etc/hosts .
      I've even configured the listener to listen to the physical IP, instead of the virtual one. Nothing solved the problem. The error is always the same.
      The passwords are correct, I'm also able to connect through the listener from another host. So, the listener is of course up and running and listen to port 1521.

Any ideas?

THX