I have 3 servers with 12GB ram and two 300 GB HDD (local) each, No Shared storage.
I am planning to install Oracle VM server 3.1.1 Build 544 and VM Manager 3.1.1 Build 524.
VM manager installed on Dom0 in one of the VM server (found some blog which describes how to implement it).
I have some questions running through my mind and help to solve it s really appreciated.
1) Is ORACLE VM SERVER PATCH 3.1.1-524 RELEASE is complete OS or its just patch which has to installed over 3.1.1 VM server. Because the patch readme says *"This patch update is a complete Oracle VM Server 3.1.1 installer ISO" ??*
2) I read somewhere in the forum that the 3.X version cannot use the disk where OS is installed as storage repository. in that case i will be loosing around 250 GB on each machine, on which i have installed VM server. Is it TRUE??
3) Is it possible to update VM server first and then update VM manager ( before creating server pool etc) ??
The servers are not connected to internet or SAN no i cannot use YUM or SAN update methods and I have very limited access to this servers physically.
Thanks in advance.
1. Its patch 544. Both can be downloaded and are complete installs. If you have YUM setup in an existing environment.... the VM servers can be upgraded via YUM. The VM Manager has to be upgraded via the installer.
2. Yes. This is true. Maybe your local RAID controller can present the storage as two separate LUNS/Disks even though they maybe setup as a mirror. If not, then you're out of luck. Virtual box can use local storage that OS is installed on. Oracle VM 3.1.1 can't.
3. Yes. You can install the 544 version of 3.1.1 on the servers before attaching them to the VM Manager. YUM should be used to upgrade the servers if they are already attached to a VM Manager. You would then upgrade the manager first and then upgrade the servers.
Thanks, Its really helpful.
I have decided below process to install OVS and OVM.
1) Install OVS 3.1.1
2) Patch OVS with 544 via CD
3) Install OVM on Dom0
4) Patch OVM with 524
5) Then create server pool etc..
Hope this method is correct and it works.