9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 9:50 AM by sxkumar RSS

EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository

Laura Sallwasser
      Hi DBAs:
      I've used the two system method to upgrade my 11.1 OMS to 12.1.0.2. The upgrade completed and it is monitoring 7 of the 42 agents, so I am still in the process of switching these. In the new EM12c, the page "Management Services and Repository" shows the Connect Descriptor - but it references the 11.1 OMS repository database. I dread asking but shouldn't this be the new OMS repository, the one I created as a clone of the 11.1 OMS repository database? I checked through my OUI screen prints and the node logs; the database connection details are accurate for both the new database, and the old repository. There are no glaring errors from the EM12c console. How do I validate this?

Thank you,

Laura Sallwasser
        • 1. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
          Akanksha Sheoran Kaler-Oracle
          As a prerequisite for upgrading your Enterprise Manager system using the 2-System upgrade approach, you are required to back up your existing database first, and then upgrade the Oracle Management Repository (Management Repository) that is configured in it. This is to ensure that the upgraded Management Repository coexists with the earlier release of the Management Repository.

However, after you upgrade the Management Repository in the backed up database, link it to your earlier release of the Management Repository so that the two repositories are linked with each other, and any operations on the upgraded repository can be directly done from the old repository.

Refer http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/upgrade.121/e22625/upgrading_10205_111_PS1_postupgrade.htm#CIAHFGIA

Edited by: Akanksha on Jan 17, 2013 1:01 PM
          • 2. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
            Laura Sallwasser
            Hi Akanksha:
            I completed the OMS upgrade steps about two weeks ago. The upgraded OMS is linked to the 11.1 OMS and I continue switching agents from EM 11.1 to EM 12c. I am following the upgrade guide (E22625-11) dated October 2012. Seeing the old 11.1 OMS appear under the EM 12c console as the repository is somewhat disconcerting. After I switch over all the agents, will the EM 12c repository in EM 12c convert to the new OMS repository? Or is there another process I must follow for EM 12c to list its own OMS repository? My apologies; from the upgrade guide, I do not see this specified.

Thank you,
            Laura Sallwasser
            • 3. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
              Let me check in my inhouse env and get a confirmation for you.
              Also the we keep updating our guides so i recommend that you download or refer to the lastest guide on OTN before install or upgrade. Donnt use old downloaded guides.
              • 4. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
                Hi Laura,

Can you send me the screen shot of the conenct descriptor and where exactly are you seeing. In my inhouse env i see correct connect descriptor from "Setup -> Manage Cloud Control -> Health Overview" page. What is the navigation patch to where you see? Also do you have an SR open for this? send me the number

-Akanksha
                • 5. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
                  Laura Sallwasser
                  Hi Akanksha:
                  I would have to email the screen print to you; not sure to which address. I do have an SR open for this; 3-6678994981. The connect descriptor is pointing to the right repository database; I was not looking carefully enough. However, the Management Services and Repository page in EM 12c is showing the old OMS in both the "Target Information" and the host name (above the "Page Refreshed" detail, far right) is the EM11.1 host. EM Event email from EM12c shows the Host=<old OMS node>, yet the hyperlinks point to the new EM12c URL.

I uploaded a few screen prints into the SR and a text file with results from sysman.mgmt_targets - from the new repository. Please let me know if I can send you more details.

Thank you for your help,

Laura Sallwasser
                  • 6. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
                    you can reach me @ akanksha.sheoran@oracle.com
                    cool, so connect descriptio is all correct in EM . Let me look at the screenshots in the SR and validate it in my inhouse env.
                    I will get back to you
                    • 7. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
                      Hi Laura , Support will be updating your SR with root cause and solution. To update this thread the problem is you had a (10.2.0.5 or 11g ) agent on the 12c OMS box before upgrading. 12c OMS install also installs an agent on this box but will not create the host target as host target was already created and monitored by the old agent.
                      Relocation to an agent will fail if the agent does not monitor the host target. So, oracle_emrep target relocation would have failed and is causing the issues that customer is reporting.

We donnt support 2-system upgarde on same host ( guide says the same ) . Support will help you how to move forward, i have explained them the steps.
                      I have logged a bug to see if we can throw a warning in pre-upgarde console at earlier stage.

Regards
                      Akanksha
                      • 8. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
                        Laura Sallwasser
                        Hi Akanksha:

I just completed a conference with Bhavin. He walked me through how to purge the 11.1 OMS details from the 12c OMS. The Management Services and Repository page is now properly linked to the new OMS node and the new repository. I have four EM11.1 installations where the OMS is on one node of an Oracle cluster, and the repository database is a RAC on all nodes of the same cluster. Bhavin explained that you and he had reviewed this configuration and provided recommendations for my next upgrade. Assuming a three-node cluster with the 11.1 OMS on node 1 the 12c OMS on node 3, I plan to:

1) Remove the node 3 targets from 11.1 OMS
                        2) Stop the node 3 11.1 agent
                        3) Complete the OMS 12c upgrade
                        4) Add the 12c repository database to the 12c OMS after all agents are migrated and the old OMS is retired.

I doubt that you and your team get the credit that you deserve for deploying and supporting a product as complex and full-featured as EM 12c. I have been a user since OEM 2 and have never failed to be impressed by how much can done through the interface. EM is one of Oracle's best products.

Thank you very much for your help,

Laura Sallwasser
                        • 9. Re: EM12c Two System Upgrade - Question About the New Repository
                          sxkumar
                          Thanks Laura for the kind words and it is great to you know that we could be of help.

Sushil Kumar
                          VP, EM Product Management