3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2013 9:58 AM by Jiri.Machotka-Oracle RSS

HTML5 video format support in UCM

Hi All,

i have few doubts regading our requirment of HTML5 video (since flash inst supproted on iphone iPad).

--> what convesion server u would recommend for HTML5 video integration with UCM.
      --> Is UCM's DAM component is capable of managing HTML5 video format.
      --> do we need streaming server for this? (client is ok if video downloads then play).

In a nut shell we have to output HTML5 video format on portal from UCM.
      It will be very helpful if some one can provide some direction on this.

note i already referred UCMTube blog post on flashing video from UCM.
      [blog post|http://contentoncontentmanagement.com/2008/03/ucmtube-converting-and-streaming-flv-files-with-oracle-ucm/]

Edited by: TheNewBee on Jan 15, 2013 7:52 AM
        • 1. Re: HTML5 video format support in UCM
          Jaap Spiering
          Hi Somesh,

well, first of all. HTML5 video is not a format. You need several formats that are supported by browsers that support HTML5 video.
          Here are is some very useful information:

Basically, you need three formats: MP4, WebM and OGG video AND take care of which codecs are used.
          Configure the content server to support these content types (it's important that they are served with the correct MIME type)

So, if you can supply the Conversion Server with the correct tools to convert and create these types of videos, you can use them in your portal just like you would with other DAM content.
          For integrating them in your portal, you can consider using a JavaScript library like VideoJS or MediaElementJS to cater for all the different types of browsers and platforms.

We've been using video as well, but only stored them in the Content Server, we haven't been converting them yet, so I don't know which tools might be useful for doing that.

hope this helps.

• 2. Re: HTML5 video format support in UCM
            Hi Jaap

thanks for reply.
            what i mean by HTML5 video format other then flash files (flv, swf or wmv) like ogg,Mp4 and WebM.
            i have few more doubts on this

--> what configuration is needed for this.
            --> if we are not using any converter and conversion is done outside ucm can UCM manage the all formats.
            --> for stroring alone we need any configuration.

• 3. Re: HTML5 video format support in UCM
              Hi Somesh,

I think you should consider what you need from your system:

a) video (or any other DAM) conversion - is this what you really need? Conversions are usually used to create a file.xyz from a file.abc, or (particularly with DAM) file2.abc with a lower resolution to support user experience

UCM (or its conversion engine Inbound Refinery) is not doing any conversions itself - it is just a server that processes the file (usually during a checkin process) to call 3rd party tools, and then, stores the result(s). All what the UCM/IBR configuration manages is what files should be sent to which conversion engine and with what settings.

Reading your use case I guess that you (like Jaap) will work with native files - at maximum, you might need "lower resolutions", if you have really large files. See here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10800/c04_damia_all.htm#autoId1 what conversion apps are supported (check that your formats are supported by this app)

b) storing: if you really decide for multiple resolutions, you might need to create some configuration - see here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10800/c04_damia_all.htm#CBHHBEEJ
              otherwise, for storing one native file no extra config is needed

c) streaming: streaming can be called for when a video file is retrieved back to the consumer - for smaller files you might not need it, for larger files, it might be a must. Again, it is not something that UCM/IBR does itself, but rather calls 3rd party tools. See here: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/doc.1111/e10800/c04_damia_all.htm#autoId2 what streaming servers are supported (check that your formats are supported by these servers)