This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 6, 2013 9:41 PM by yxes2013 RSS

Display image in report APEX 4.2

MaximeCarrier Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I've tried several tutorials on the web to display an image in a report from a BLOB data type, but I still can't display them in a report. I know I uploaded my BLOB correctly because I'm able to use the 'display image' item to display it, but I can't put it in the report.

When I put it in BLOB format, I have this error: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character to number conversion error

When it stays in the default format, it is written: *[Unsupported data type]*

Does anyone have a clue? Is it because I used APEX 4.2?

• 1. Re: Display image in report APEX 4.2
    KeithMalay Explorer
    Maxime,

It's going to be hard to tell what's going on without more detail. Any chance you can post an example of your problem on apex.oracle.com ?

Keith Malay
    Blackhawk Enterprise Inc
  • 2. Re: Display image in report APEX 4.2
    fac586 Guru
    Maxime Carrier wrote:

I've tried several tutorials on the web to display an image in a report from a BLOB data type, but I still can't display them in a report. I know I uploaded my BLOB correctly because I'm able to use the 'display image' item to display it, but I can't put it in the report.

When I put it in BLOB format, I have this error: ORA-06502: PL/SQL: numeric or value error: character to number conversion error
    What is "BLOB format"?
    Please review the documentation carefully: About BLOB Support in Forms and Reports. In particular, note:
    To facilitate the inclusion of a download link in a report, the report includes the selection of the length of the BLOB (for example, <tt>dbms_lob.getlength(RESUME)</tt>).
    Ensure your report query includes such a selection of the image BLOB's length, not the BLOB itself, and that the format mask of this column is as described in the "Displaying the BLOB" section.
  • 3. Re: Display image in report APEX 4.2
    MaximeCarrier Newbie
    fac586 wrote:
    Maxime Carrier wrote:

What is "BLOB format"?
    It is the column attribute 'Number / Date Format' for the specific column.

>
    Please review the documentation carefully: About BLOB Support in Forms and Reports. In particular, note:
    To facilitate the inclusion of a download link in a report, the report includes the selection of the length of the BLOB (for example, <tt>dbms_lob.getlength(RESUME)</tt>).
    Ensure your report query includes such a selection of the image BLOB's length, not the BLOB itself, and that the format mask of this column is as described in the "Displaying the BLOB" section.
    I'm using everything it is required in this documentation, I use a File Browser to store the image, the length, the mime type, the filename, the last update date. The importation works perfectly, I'm also able to display the imported image in the 'Display image' page item in APEX, but I can't display it in the form.

This is how it looks:

http://postimage.org/image/4mvtld02j/

and

http://postimage.org/image/s0wghalfh/

Thanks for your quick answers :)
  • 4. Re: Display image in report APEX 4.2
    MaximeCarrier Newbie
    Hi all,

using dbms_lob.getlength("BLOB_IMAGE") as "BLOB_IMAGE" in my select statement, I am able to see the image perfectly!

Thanks all for your help!
  • 5. Re: Display image in report APEX 4.2
    yxes2013 Newbie
    Hello dear,

I have also similar issue :(
    Can you share me the procedure how to do what you have done please....

Thanks a lot,

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points