I have a project with almost 500 Activities and i am updating the actuals. When i schedule every time(using F9) it takes very long time to schedule before i update the next activity.
Just i am looking 1. How to increase the scheduling speed?
2. Which parameters(Hardware or Software) control the Scheduling speed (For example RAM, Processor Speed / Operating system Etc.,)
3. Can i increase scheduling speed by changing any of them in item 2.
1. What hardware do you use at the moment (processor, RAM, operating system)?
2. What database are you running? SQL Server or Oracle?
3. What version of P6 are you running? Is it a standalone or network installation?
1. What hardware do you use at the moment (processor, RAM, operating system)? _*( P4 3.2Ghz, 1 GB RAM, Win XP)*
2. What database are you running? SQL Server or Oracle? *(SQL Server)*
3. What version of P6 are you running? Is it a standalone or network installation? *(P6 Release -6 , Standalone).*
Your hardware specs are woefully slow. I would look at upgrading your machine.
Scheduling slowdowns can be caused by P6 itself and normally I look the software setup first. In your case the processor/RAM may be the bottle neck. P6 runs fine on XP and a local install running SQL should be very quick.
P6 6.0 did have some issues that would cause a schedule to lock up or take a long time to schedule. You may also look into upgrading to a newer version.
A schedule with 500 activities in a Standalone P6 installation with a SQL Server database should run pretty fast. However, your computer appears quite out-dated. Try upgrading the RAM to 2 GB or 3 GB if possible.
Some more questions I have for you....how many projects are there in the database? Also, when you open the schedule, does it take a long time?