This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2013 2:18 AM by rukbat RSS

SunFire V1280 - reset lom password

985175 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello everyone,
i received a used SunFire V1280 server. My problem is that it has a lom password which i can not bypass what ever i have tried so far. So i am asking the community.
So far, i have already tried

1. resetting the lom password of user admin with command "scadm" (which by the way means i can have access to operating system). The thing here is that 'uname -i' returns SUNW,Sun-Netra-T12 but in the specific directory there is no 'scadm' commmand. There is in four other architectures (V215 for example) but when i use one of those i get 'SC hardware could not be initiallized'. Could it be that it is reffering to ALOM maybe?
2. Another solution could be the SUNWlomm package which i dont have since the server is a used one.
3. I also tried the solution listed here
http://blog.mc-thias.org/?title=sun_server_alom_password_reset_factory_d&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
but i never was able to get the menu (i guess this is for ALOM and no working with LOM)
4. I also tried the solution listed here
http://tech.manunderstress.com/?p=42
but despite the fact that it seems to work, password is still there...
5. I dont remember at the moment but i found some sort of solution which was to provide the commands
start /SYS
stop /SYS
form a '-->' prompt which is the prompt i get when Ctrl+A is pressed (as mentioned in solution #4)

Any clues, anyone?
Thank you in advance, Nikos

p.s. by the way i have tried some "common" passwords ('password', 'changeme', 'administrator' and '1234567890' so on)
  • 1. Re: SunFire V1280 - reset lom password
    M10vir Newbie
    Only way to get or reset the password you need to contact Oracle/Sun support service, below link have the details how to

http://www.sunshack.org/data/sh/2.1.2/infoserver.central/data/syshbk/collections/intsrdb/52442.html
  • 2. Re: SunFire V1280 - reset lom password
    user13642852 Newbie
    Hi I tried for that web site given for generating service mode password is down.

May I know any other way to break the 1280 lom password.
  • 3. Re: SunFire V1280 - reset lom password
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    user13642852 wrote:
    Hi I tried for that web site given for generating service mode password is down.

May I know any other way to break the 1280 lom password.
    For security reasons, there is only one procedure to reset the password on that platform:
    You must have a company service engineer do it at your site.

You will need to pay for such services if you do not have hardware service contract coverage on that specific chassis.
  • 4. Re: SunFire V1280 - reset lom password
    bobthesungeek76036 Pro
    user13642852 wrote:
    That website was Sun-internal-only site anyway. As mentioned earlier, you must contact the Big-O to resolve your problem.
  • 5. Re: SunFire V1280 - reset lom password
    991823 Newbie
    Hey, I have the same problem. I bought my new sun server from this website called [www.calhountech.com/sun-servers.html] . They sell new and used Sun Servers but I am having trouble with my sun server, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by: 988820 on Feb 18, 2013 7:28 PM

Edited by: 988820 on Feb 18, 2013 7:36 PM

• 6. Re: SunFire V1280 - reset lom password
    rukbat Guru Moderator
    988820 wrote:
    Hey, I have the same problem. I bought my new sun server from this website called www.calhountech.com/sun-servers.html . They sell new and used Sun Servers but I am having trouble with my sun server, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by: 988820 on Feb 18, 2013 7:28 PM

I see where you have two choices:
    (1) Contact Oracle and buy a support contract. It will be exorbitantly expensive.
    You will have to pay for an Oracle service engineer to inspect it for worthiness to be covered by the support contract then you will have an annual expense for support.
    or
    (2) Contact that used equipment vendor and get them to fix it for you, else return it for a refund.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points