1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 4:26 PM by EdStevens Go to original post RSS
      • 15. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
        EdStevens
        emss wrote:
        Thank you for your help. Maybe I'm getting closer, but yet to launch a successful session. I've followed all the instructions and can start the version of sql*plus.exe in the instant client folder. However, I am not provided an Oracle Instance at log in.

In the past, I used the SQLPlusW.exe...which is unsupported in the 11g environment. I am trying hard to use Oracle's tool as designed, but this is incredibly difficult to configure and support (the first time).

I added the tnsnames.ora which has my companies setups. However when I start the sqlplus.exe, I receive no instance to log into. I get two messages after attempting a pw entry as follows: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available; and ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist.

Any pointers would be appreciated. The Oracle instances are on shared servers using Linux. I did download and install 11g2_r2 database too as well as the instant client download. Finally, I have a version of 10g Development suite fully installed. Like I said...really trying hard to upgrade the sql*plus version....

Edited by: emss on Jan 17, 2013 9:01 AM

Edited by: emss on Jan 17, 2013 9:03 AM
        Have you looked at the SQLPlus User Guide and Reference, [url http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e16604/toc.htm] here

It sounds like you are not specifying the tns alias.
        c:> sqlplus scott/tiger@orcl
        Of course, you use your own username, password and db name.
        • 16. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
          emss
          That did it! Thank you! It was how I was lauching the executable.

Edited by: emss on Jan 17, 2013 1:39 PM
          • 17. Re: How/where to acquire Oracle SQL*Plus version 10.2.0.0.0 or higher.
            EdStevens
            emss wrote:
            That did it! Thank you! It was how I was lauching the executable.

Edited by: emss on Jan 17, 2013 1:39 PM
            Other variations you might be interested in
            C:\Users\estevens\Documents\sql>sqlplus

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Jan 17 16:21:42 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter user-name: estevens@orcl
            Enter password:

Connected to:
            Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
            With the Automatic Storage Management option

SQL>
            or
            C:\Users\estevens\Documents\sql>sqlplus estevens

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Thu Jan 17 16:23:48 2013

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Enter password:

Connected to:
            Oracle Database 11g Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
            With the Automatic Storage Management option

SQL>
            On that second example, you can't see it but when I entered my password 'boomersooner' I appended the tns name, so entered 'boomersooner@orcl'

the key element is that '@orcl'. When sqlplus parses out the command line or the username and password, it uses the '@' as a meta character to indicate that what follows is the tns name. Think about the implications if you include '@' in your password ....
            1 2 Previous Next