This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 6:58 AM by Michael Ferrante (Oracle) RSS

Entered text is not displaying as expected in Oracle forms screens

949342 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
We have an application developed with Oracle Forms 9i software. This application is working as expected in IE6 browser. But we are facing following porblem while working with IE8 browser for first 10 minutes.

Enter the text in any forms screen by opening the application in IE8 browser. The entered text will not disply till 10 minutes. We are facing this problem in all the screens including the log-in screen. After few minutes this problem will solve automatically.

Thanks in advance.
  • 1. Re: Entered text is not displaying as expected in Oracle forms screens
    CraigB Guru
    This is most likely a Java Runtime (JRE) issue. What JRE version do you have installed on your client computers? For IE8, you should be using at least Java 1.6.0. If you are using Java 1.7, Java 1.7 is not certified with Forms 9i. You will need to downgrade to Java 1.6.0.

Craig...
  • 2. Re: Entered text is not displaying as expected in Oracle forms screens
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    Java 6 is no supported with Forms 9.0.x either and likely will not work. The problem is likely a combination of numerous things: old Forms version running in old browser with new jre. I would also guess that it is an unpatched Forms installation too.

As I recall, the newest certified JRE supported with Forms 9.0.4.0 was JRE 1.4.2_xx. I believe in 9.0.4.3 we picked up JRE 1.5, but I don't recall exactly which version. Because this Forms version is so old, we don't even post the cert matrix for it any long, so I can't check.

It's time to upgrade ;)
  • 3. Re: Entered text is not displaying as expected in Oracle forms screens
    949342 Newbie
    Thank you very much for your information.

We already advised to our client regarding the Forms up gradation. They are working on this. Currently many of the users are complying regarding this issue. Please clarify the below things.

•     Our Oracle forms version is 9.0.2.9. Which JRE version is suitable for us?
    •     Which Internet Explorer version suites for Oracle forms version is 9.0.2.9?
    •     I am able to see JRE6 folder in my client system at C:\Program Files\Java location. I can confirm you as we are using JRE6. If I am wrong, please suggest me how to check which JRE I am using?
    •Is ther any fix for this other than up gradation?
  • 4. Re: Entered text is not displaying as expected in Oracle forms screens
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator
    I think what you need to understand is that Forms (iAS) 9.0.2 was desupported in 2005. Most of the documentation and other information on this version has been archived or deleted.

In general terms, there is no way to know why you are experiencing the problem you see. As with any software, if you have what appears to be a defect, I would start by installing whatever patches were available for that product. I suspect that since you are using obsolete software that you also likely do not have access to Oracle Support. However, if you do they may be able to assist you with determining if any of those old patches are still available.

As for what browsers and JRE's can be used with Forms 902, well as I recall IE5 or IE6 would have been the newest IE version and JRE 1.4 or 1.3 the newest JRE. That said, I do not recommend attempting to install either of these old versions on a newer machine. For example if the client machine is Win7, attempting to install either of these old versions either will fail or cause ugly problems.

The proper solution is to move all of your software into the 21st century so that you can get the proper help you may need. Trying to support obsolete environments if very difficult.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points