4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2013 8:19 PM by Marc Sewtz-Oracle

Read Only page/region attribute - Tabular form

VANJ
      APEX 4.2.1/Oracle 11.1

The new readonly attribute at the page and region level works very nicely to make a page readonly without having to set the readonly condition individually on each page item. Great job.

But I noticed that tabular form inputs don't honor this setting. Is there a easy way to make a tabular form readonly as well i.e. make it look like a classic report instead of showing input (even disabled) fields?

I guess we can clone the region as a classic report region and conditionally show one or the other but that's not ideal from a maintenance perspective.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Read Only page/region attribute - Tabular form
          Keith Malay
          VANJ,

I think you've answered your own question on this one. I did a little research and don't see any easier solution than just creating the report and conditionally displaying one or the other.

Come back and update the thread if you find a different solution. I'd be interested to see if there's a better solution out there.

Keith Malay
          1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Read Only page/region attribute - Tabular form
            Marc Sewtz-Oracle
            We currently do not use the page- or region-level read-only condition when rendering a tabular form, I added this as an enhancement to be considered for APEX 5.0. So for the time being, rendering a classic report in place of the tabular form seems to be the easiest solution.

Regards,
            Marc
            1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Read Only page/region attribute - Tabular form
              VANJ
              Marc - Thanks for logging the enhancement request. Couple of observations

1. The Copy Region wizard allows us to copy a tabular form region (along with its associated processes and buttons) but running the page raises errors since APEX only allows one tabular form per page. Perhaps the Copy Region wizard should check for this
              2. Most tabular form regions are customized after the wizard creates them. Column headings are changed, display types, number/date formats, column links, etc. Re-doing all this to create a copy of the tabular form region as a classic report region is a bit of a chore. Maybe you can think of a easier way to do this in 5.0. Really all that needs to happen is change the Display As for all the tabular form INPUT fields to Display as Text and preserve all other customizations.

Thanks
              • 4. Re: Read Only page/region attribute - Tabular form
                Marc Sewtz-Oracle
                Thanks for your comments, I agree that the copy region wizard should not allow copying a tabular form to a page that already has a tabular form defined (or to the current page). And for 5.0 - if this makes it in - we certainly don't intend to use a classic report region as the read-only version of a tabular form (I suggested this only as a temporary solution for 4.x). Tabular forms and reports use the same engine anyway, so we would simply render all editable fields as display-only - as you suggested. And we probably should also disable the associated buttons.

Thanks,
                Marc