This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2013 10:23 AM by EdStevens RSS

Cygwin X Server to run Oracle Universal Installer

Jimbo Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

I used to run Oracle Universal Installer on my unix server using an Exceed X Server on my Windows laptop. Recently my laptop was upgraded to Windows 7 and I can no longer use my version of Exceed on this version of Windows.

Therefore I was going to try and use the freeware Cygwin X Server on my laptop instead.

I connected to the Cygwin X Server site http://x.cygwin.com/ - I wasn't sure what to download, so I downloaded the following using their setup.exe program ( which gets downloaded to my windows pc )

- X Console
- Xhost
- Xinit
- Xorg Server
- XTerm

Q1. In order to run the Oracle OUI, I am not sure I needed anything other than Xorg Server - is that correct ? I am not really sure what the others do

Q2. I was surprised when I downloaded these components they were supplied as packages with an extension of *.tar.bz2. To me these are components you would not / could not install onto a windows pc ?

All I am simply trying to is - to run an X Server solution ( in this case I was hoping Cygwin ) on my pc, set the $DISPLAY ( as approrpiate ) on my backend unix server, launch the OUI on the unix server and have the OUI appear on the X Server running on my pc.

But alas I am a bit stuck around getting the correct Cygwin X Server solution for my pc

Any ideas where I am gong wrong ?

thanks,
Jim
  • 1. Re: Cygwin X Server to run Oracle Universal Installer
    sb92075 Guru
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/
  • 2. Re: Cygwin X Server to run Oracle Universal Installer
    EdStevens Guru
    Jimbo wrote:
    Hi,

I used to run Oracle Universal Installer on my unix server using an Exceed X Server on my Windows laptop. Recently my laptop was upgraded to Windows 7 and I can no longer use my version of Exceed on this version of Windows.

Therefore I was going to try and use the freeware Cygwin X Server on my laptop instead.

I connected to the Cygwin X Server site http://x.cygwin.com/ - I wasn't sure what to download, so I downloaded the following using their setup.exe program ( which gets downloaded to my windows pc )

- X Console
    - Xhost
    - Xinit
    - Xorg Server
    - XTerm

Q1. In order to run the Oracle OUI, I am not sure I needed anything other than Xorg Server - is that correct ? I am not really sure what the others do

Q2. I was surprised when I downloaded these components they were supplied as packages with an extension of *.tar.bz2. To me these are components you would not / could not install onto a windows pc ?

All I am simply trying to is - to run an X Server solution ( in this case I was hoping Cygwin ) on my pc, set the $DISPLAY ( as approrpiate ) on my backend unix server, launch the OUI on the unix server and have the OUI appear on the X Server running on my pc.

But alas I am a bit stuck around getting the correct Cygwin X Server solution for my pc

Any ideas where I am gong wrong ?

thanks,
    Jim
    As sb alluded to by giving a link to the site, you can use xming as your x-server. It's free, lightweight, and drop-dead simple to install. No bells and whistles. Just a solid x-server.

And once I discovered x11 port forwarding, I no longer even have to set DISPLAY to match the ever-changing DHCP-assigned ip address of my pc. I use PuTTY as my ssh client, and configure the session to allow x11 port forwarding. I can't remember the last time I had to monkey around with DISPLAY.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points