6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2013 9:51 AM by 948593 RSS

Any Search Functionality in Webcenter Sites

Sashank Pappu
      Hi ,

Could you please let us know, is their any predefined search functionality for searching the website data using webcenter sites. We have a requirement where we need to create search criteria using webcentersites , so that by passing few parameters it should return the related data that is in the website.

Thank you,
      Sashank P
        • 1. Re: Any Search Functionality in Webcenter Sites
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          WebCenter Sites by default uses the Lucene Search engine. You may find details in this manual: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E29495_01/doc.1111/webcenter_sites_11gr1_bp1_admin.pdf (chapter 23)
          • 2. Re: Any Search Functionality in Webcenter Sites
            Sashank Pappu
            Hi ,

Thanks a lot for your response . Can you let me know Is the Lucene same as SOLR , as I have a requirement where i need to use Solr Search Funciotnality . As Lucene is already present as search for Sites. Are their any ways to use Solr instead of Lucene and how to use it

thank you,
            Sashank P
            • 3. Re: Any Search Functionality in Webcenter Sites
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              Can you let me know Is the Lucene same as SOLR
              It is probably a question to another forum. Check: http://lucene.apache.org/core/ (there is no forum, but a mailing list). It states: "Apache Lucene, Apache Solr, Apache PyLucene, Apache Open Relevance Project and their respective logos are trademarks of The Apache Software Foundation." I read it that Lucene and Solr are different product from the same family. As Lucene is "Apache LuceneTM is a high-performance, full-featured text search engine library written entirely in Java. It is a technology suitable for nearly any application that requires full-text search, especially cross-platform." and Solr ( from http://lucene.apache.org/solr/ ) "SolrTM is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search platform from the Apache LuceneTM project." I believe that Solr adds some stand-alone functionality to Lucene library. With Sites (searching for Sites' content from Sites' pages using OOTB Sites' assets) you should be OK with the library only. If you want federated services, or just want to use a separate enterprise search server you should use also Solr - but my guess is that it uses Lucene's functions, so the integration will be seamless. I'd ask experts in the Lucene's mailing list. Maybe you'll also find some info in the documentation.
              • 4. Re: Any Search Functionality in Webcenter Sites
                Sashank Pappu
                Hi Jiri ,

I have to integrate Solr Search functionality for my WebCenter Sites which fetches the results from the sites data. Can you please let me know any approach we have to go with . as i am facing many issues while trying to integrate .
                I tried to deploy the Solr.war File in the same weblogic server and tried to access it and it worked fine . but I was stuck up after that now knowing how to do it . Could you please guide me in this.

Thank you,
                sahsank P
                • 5. Re: Any Search Functionality in Webcenter Sites
                  Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
                  I'm sorry, but until this question I was not aware that anything like Solr existed, so I'm no help with your question.

Have you tried to ask Lucene/Solr people?
                  • 6. Re: Any Search Functionality in Webcenter Sites
                    Hi Sahsank,

Well for starters, this is not a small task. You need to figure out a strategy for several things:

1. Indexing content from WebCenter Sites in SOLR
                    2. Running queries for display on OWCS pages.
                    3. Properly caching SOLR-based content
                    4. Figure out how to organize the SOLR schema.

We're using the SolrJ on our current project and it works pretty well, although there is little to no documentation & tutorials beyond a few Stack Overflow discussions and the undocumented javadoc pages like this:
                    http://lucene.apache.org/solr/api-4_0_0-ALPHA/org/apache/solr/client/solrj/SolrQuery.html

For me, IMHO, the strategy was two-fold:

1. Figure out how SOLR works first -- so play around with queries in the SOLR query UI, Google a lot for examples of how various types of queries work at the SOLR-level
                    2. Then play around with the SolrJ libraries and figure out how to do those same queries using SolrJ.

It's not the easiest integration, but I guess that depends on your experience level and how you're going to use SOLR in your website. For one thing, integrating plain old string-type facet filters was pretty easy, but adding date range facets took a lot more research and practice (the first time at least).

Thanks,

Somen De | Sr. Consultant
                    Function1, Inc