This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 1:45 PM by anygma RSS

Appserv Log Directory on a network

Honza Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hello,

I'm trying to configure my application server to create log and trace files on a network drive. My setup is Windows Server 2008 R2 and PeopleTools 8.52.
On linux, there's no such problem, I simply pointed to a valid mount point, no matter how it was created.

Application server configuration file setting:
[Domain Settings]
;=========================================================================
; General settings for this Application Server.
;=========================================================================

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Domain ID=TESTSERV

Add to PATH=c:\

Spawn Threshold=1,600:1,1

Restartable=Y

; Log Directory defaults to the LOGS directory within %PS_SERVDIR%
Log Directory=\\192.168.82.106\server\appserv\H91DEV
Boot attempt:
Attempting to boot ...
INFO: Oracle Tuxedo, Version 10.3.0.0 with VS2008, 32-bit, Patch Level (none) Booting server processes ... exec PSWATCHSRV -o "\\192.168.82.106\server\appserv\H91DEV\stdout" -e "\\192.168.82.106\server\appserv\H91DEV\stderr" -A -- -ID 48028 -D TESTSER V -S PSWATCHSRV :         CMDTUX_CAT:1685: ERROR: Application initialization failure tmboot: CMDTUX_CAT:827: ERROR: Fatal error encountered; initiating user error ha ndler tmshutdown -qy
At this point there are some files created in the configured directory: APPSERV_nnnn.LOG, TUXLOG and bblcheck.out. However not stdout and stderr. This seems like there might be another user used to create these files and a permission problem? Problem is, I tried adding write permissions for all on that folder with no results.

Once I remove the Log Directory entry, server will boot without problems. So it's definitely an issue with this location.

Maybe it would be possible to only create user trace files in an alternate directory? Is it possible to separate the trace file location from standard output logs?

As always, any input is appreciated. Thank you.
  • 1. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Honza Newbie
    I should add that the network storage is a synology disk station, providing an smb share. There are also users I need to check along the way and it will probably turn out to really be some permission. However, what I don't understand is why are some log files created and some not, and if I can look for answers elsewhere.
  • 2. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE
    Mapping a network drive ?
    Or is a link from %PS_HOME%/appserv/domain_name/LOGS to your log directory possible ?
    I think it has been discussed here, need to dig the forum...

By the way, why do you have this requirement ? It will makes all more complicated.
    I think such need is not needed anymore since there's this env. variable PS_CFG_HOME. I know, that also for your config files, but still, better to keep all in the same place.

I would not recommanded such thing anyway.

NIcolas.
  • 3. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Honza Newbie
    >
    Mapping a network drive ?
    >
    Same problem. And I have a vague memory of not being able to use a mapped drive somwhere, maybe nVision (not related anyway). At first I though there might be a wrong user connecting to the network, but after being sure what user/password i used to connect, still the same.

>
    Or is a link from %PS_HOME%/appserv/domain_name/LOGS to your log directory possible ?
    I think it has been discussed here, need to dig the forum...
    >
    Hmm, havn't thought abut trying a Windows symlink to a network location, let me try that :-)

>
    By the way, why do you have this requirement ? It will makes all more complicated.
    I think such need is not needed anymore since there's this env. variable PS_CFG_HOME. I know, that also for your config files, but still, better to keep all in the same place.
    >
    There are several environments across different servers on the same network and it's nice to be able to gets trace files from a single location, just a different folder depending on the database. At least I always had developers asking how to access a trace file, it just seems comfortable to have them all available from one place.
  • 4. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Honza wrote:
    I should add that the network storage is a synology disk station
    Is it a personnal env. for learning purpose ? Otherwise, I doubt that would be an efficient solution for prod.

Nicolas.
  • 5. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Honza Newbie
    Yes of course, it's for learning purposes.
  • 6. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Ok, then I would not waste time on it, so I would go for dir sharing of the LOGS directories. The developpers could map this share point if they want to.
    The problem would not be on apps side, but on dev side, which would be, to my opinion, much more logical.

Nicolas.
  • 7. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Honza Newbie
    Yes, I realize I'm trying to do something that's not standard and mapping the LOGS directory is perfectly acceptable, it's just that having all the log files - and especially user trace files - in one location is much more comfortable. Users only need one location and don't have to remember a separate share for each environment. Especially since the linux servers already use the network drive.

I'll try to figure this out, although it's not a top priority, and hopefully post back.

Edit:
    I tried using a symlink, same problem.

Edited by: Honza on Jan 17, 2013 7:45 AM
  • 8. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    Honza Newbie
    Would it be possible to specify a different location only for trace files?
  • 9. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    I've never had to do this, but you may want to read the following, could be out of interest :
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E15645_01/pt850pbr0/eng/psbooks/tsvt/chapter.htm?File=tsvt/htm/tsvt05.htm

Nicolas.

PS: on tst/dev system, I generally give the read permission against the PS_HOME dir to the developpers, and on prd, there's no trace file need (or almost, in case of need, it is an exception and the admin should be here anyway).

Edited by: N Gasparotto on Jan 17, 2013 5:15 PM
  • 10. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    BobLilly Expert
    If you want your app server to be able to write to a network drive in Windows, did you make sure the tuxedo ProcMgr service (It should be called ORACLE ProcMGR something) is running as a user that has the necessary permissions on the output locations?

Regards,
    Bob
  • 11. Re: Appserv Log Directory on a network
    anygma Newbie
    Two things here..What do you have on your address variable (Address=%PS_MACH%) on your configuration file ?. Make sure you're pointing to the same IP address. Second, are your able to access that folder using the same UNC path your have down on your Log directory variable ?. Go to Start > Run and enter that path. If you're able to access the folders then check permission for Oracle Proc Mgr. Make sure the user that starts the app server also starts Oracle Proc Mgr.

To answer your other question, you can set tracefile to any directory of your choice. You'd just need to tinker with the UBB file for all the server process - See an excerpt of UBB registry for PSAPPSRV below. Change the CLOPT variable to point to the directory of your choice. You'd have to do that for all the server processes you are running.

# PeopleSoft Application Server
    #
    PSAPPSRV SRVGRP=APPSRV
    SRVID=1
    MIN=2
    MAX=2
    RQADDR="APPQ"
    REPLYQ=Y

CLOPT="-o \"./LOGS/stdout\" -e \"./LOGS/stderr\" -s@psappsrv.lst -- -D HRDMO -S PSAPPSRV"

- Anygma

Edited by: user10928612 on Jan 17, 2013 1:45 PM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points