This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 10:03 AM by Steve_1234555 RSS

move page from Dev to Prod?

Steve_1234555 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I would like to copy/move a page from my Development application to Production. Both are on the same workspace. I go to the destination app and, while editing a page, select Create > New Page as a Copy. The page I'm moving already exists in the destination and I'd simply like to update with the new version of the page. However, it doesn't seem to allow you to "update" a pre-existing page. You have to copy to an unused page number. I believe I can delete the original page and then move it, but wanted to see if there's a more eloquent way to update the existing page.

Ideas? I'm using APEX 4.2

Thanks,
Steve
  • 1. Re: move page from Dev to Prod?
    Joni Vandenberghe Pro
    Hi Steve,

To Export: go to the page, click utilities, click export. Follow the wizard.
    To import: go to the application in production, click export/immort. Follow the wizard.
  • 2. Re: move page from Dev to Prod?
    MarkoGoricki Journeyer
    Hi Steve,

you can export page from one application and modify line in export script:
    wwv_flow.g_flow_id := nvl(wwv_flow_application_install.get_application_id,APP_NUMBER );
    Modify APP_NUMBER with number off application where are you importing script but you'll probably have problems with constraints.

The best way would be to separate workspaces. One for development, one for production version (copy of dev) and put them on different instances of APEX. Then you could easily do export/import.

Br,
    Marko Goricki
    ---------------------
    http://apexbyg.blogspot.com/
  • 3. Re: move page from Dev to Prod?
    MarkoGoricki Journeyer
    Problem is that both apps are in same workspace and instance of APEX, if I got it right.
  • 4. Re: move page from Dev to Prod?
    Steve_1234555 Newbie
    OK I exported the page, changed the application id to Production, and then tried importing. You're right, I received a unique constraint error. Is there any way around this? Do I simply have to delete the page from Production and then import the updated page?

Steve
  • 5. Re: move page from Dev to Prod?
    Joni Vandenberghe Pro
    I don't think you can do that, even if you delete the page, but you can try, just backup your application before you do.

The best way to do updates if your stuck with the same workspace and environment is using build options. That way you can work on multiple update at a time, such as you are probably doing now. You can basically bind a build option to every change you make, and then decide whether or not you want to include it in your export.
    More about build options can be found here:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14373_01/appdev.32/e11838/deploy.htm#BEIDAGHE
  • 6. Re: move page from Dev to Prod?
    Steve_1234555 Newbie
    Actually deleting the page and copying does in fact work. It's a little nerve-wracking doing that on Prod, but I'm not sure what other option I have at this point. Everything else I've tried has not worked. You just have to ensure when you're copying the page back to the target you reuse all necessary supporting templates, lists, etc.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points