4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 10:22 AM by John-MK RSS

Change ASM DISK NAME in 11.2 version

John-MK
      Hi,

Is it possible to change ASM DISK NAME for example in diskgroup DATA01. I added disk without NAME, and system-choosen NAME is allocated. Can I set it to e.g., ORCL:DATA09 . Currently its DATA09_009.
      Please suggest your views.

Thanks a lot.

Best Regards                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        
        • 1. Re: Change ASM DISK NAME in 11.2 version
          vlethakula
          You can change the label of disk using oracleasm renamedisk; oracle discourages it

I will changing the label of disk from CLONE1 to CLONE1a and CLONE2 to CLONE2a of diskgroup CLONE

SQL> col disk_number for 99
          SQL> col name for a15
          SQL> col label for a15
          SQL> col path for a30
          SQL> select disk_number,name,label,path from v$asm_disk;

0 DATA CLONE1 ORCL:CLONE1
          1 LOGS CLONE2 ORCL:CLONE2

ASMCMD> lsdsk -G CLONE
          Path
          ORCL:CLONE1
          ORCL:CLONE2
          ASMCMD> umount CLONE

[root@otest]# /etc/init.d/oracleasm force-renamedisk CLONE1 CLONE1a
          Renaming disk "CLONE1" to "CLONE1a": [  OK  ]
          [root@otest]# /etc/init.d/oracleasm force-renamedisk CLONE2 CLONE2a
          Renaming disk "CLONE2" to "CLONE2a": [  OK  ]

ASMCMD> mount CLONE
          ASMCMD> lsdsk -G CLONE
          Path
          ORCL:CLONE1A
          ORCL:CLONE2A

select disk_number,name,label,path from v$asm_disk;SQL> SQL> SQL> SQL>

0 DATA CLONE1A ORCL:CLONE1A
          1 LOGS CLONE2A ORCL:CLONE2A

Edited by: vlethakula on Jan 18, 2013 11:48 AM

Edited by: vlethakula on Jan 18, 2013 11:56 AM
          • 2. Re: Change ASM DISK NAME in 11.2 version
            onedbguru
            One thing you might want to eliminate from your device/disk management is explicitly naming everything. Let Oracle handle it for you. when you get into extremely large databases, "where" things are located becomes a lot less important. I let Oracle name things and it really doesn't matter all that much - even using INTERVAL PARTITIONING where Oracle names the partitions. It knows where stuff is and sometimes trying to do stuff explicitly can screw up the optimizer causing severe performance problems.
            • 3. Re: Change ASM DISK NAME in 11.2 version
              brunors
              Hi,

Good post about the explanation. I will try in my environment with ASM+.

Kind regards,
              Bruno Reis.
              • 4. Re: Change ASM DISK NAME in 11.2 version
                John-MK
                Hi,

Thanks a lot for your kind reply.

@onedbguru: Thank you too.

What I understand is that I need to UNMOUNT the DISKGROUP and then MOUNT, right? It means its not possible ONLINE, all the datafiles in the Diskgroup will not be accessible during this rename time (unmount and mount)?

Best Regards