This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 9:26 PM by BillyVerreynne RSS

on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?

946717 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I can see 2 physical disks, 100GB each. However, it seems only one being used, and following is fdisk -l output. this is the default configuration. where is the other disk? or is there a disk level software being used, and somehow it has combined two disk, therefore only /dev/sda could be shown? I can not believe only single one is used and there is no any mirrors. vg info only contains sd2. Please help me out.

# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 98.9 GB, 98999205888 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 12035 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 14 12035 96566715 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/dm-0: 81.6 GB, 81671487488 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9929 cylinders

Disk /dev/dm-0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/dm-1: 17.1 GB, 17179869184 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2088 cylinders

Disk /dev/dm-1 doesn't contain a valid partition table
You have new mail in /var/spool/mail/root

Edited by: 943714 on Jan 18, 2013 1:07 PM
  • 1. Re: on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?
    Dude! Guru
    The fdisk -l command should output your disk partitions, regardless of any LVM or MD RAID configuration:

You can check the status of your LVM or MD RAID using the following commands:

<pre>
    # cat /proc/mdstat
    # mdadm -As
    # lvm lvs --segments -o +devices
    </pre>

If fdisk does not show you the other disk, e.g. sdb, chances are most likely a hardware failure.

Edited by: Dude on Jan 20, 2013 10:54 PM

(Assuming you are not using any kind of hardware RAID, as outlined further below)
  • 2. Re: on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?
    946717 Newbie
    MD is not being used, and only /dev/sda2 is being used in lvs.

Also, there should not be a failure, because it looks same on all our 8 servers. there is no /dev/sdb, only /dev/sda. if there is failure, should not we have some tools to detect?

Thanks!

# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities :
    unused devices: <none>
    # mdadm -As
    mdadm: No arrays found in config file
    # lvm lvs
    LV VG Attr LSize Origin Snap% Move Log Copy% Convert
    LogVol00 VolGroup00 -wi-ao 76.06G
    LogVol01 VolGroup00 -wi-ao 16.00G

Edited by: 943714 on Jan 18, 2013 1:35 PM
  • 3. Re: on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?
    Dude! Guru
    The installed hard drive may simply be ignored. I suggest to check the hardware installation to verify the configuration is supported. Apparently the 2nd hard drive is not detected and not being used. You may have more luck posting your message in a Sun Fire forum. Perhaps the following is useful:

Sun Fire X4170 M2 Server Overview
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E19762-01/E22369-02/overview.html
    Note - When the on-board SATA controller is used, storage drives are not supported in the drive slots below the DVD drive.
  • 4. Re: on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    943714 wrote:

Also, there should not be a failure, because it looks same on all our 8 servers. there is no /dev/sdb, only /dev/sda. if there is failure, should not we have some tools to detect?
    We configure, as standard, h/w RAID (mirror) on our Sunfire servers. Two drives. Mirrored using the onboard and integrated RAID controller. O/s (Linux) only sees a single drive.

To access the configuration (to check if this is the case), do a reboot and wait for the message to appear (during boot) to press a specfic key (sorry, cannot recall what it is) for accessing the RAID controller configuration.
  • 5. Re: on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?
    946717 Newbie
    Yeah. I know now.

but, without rebooting the server, is there any command line I can use to show me that relationship, two internal, and they are bound as a logical name, and /dev/sda is a logical name, there are two physical ones underneath?
  • 6. Re: on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?
    Dude! Guru
    If your system has indeed a RAID controller you will only see the devices provided by the controller. The individual device members that build the RAID device are not visible from the OS. Some system may provide special software to manage the BIOS of your controller. You better ask in a Sun forum. To see what controllers you have installed, try the command lspci -v as root.
  • 7. Re: on Sun Fire X4170 M2, two internal drives, but only one is shown?
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    943714 wrote:

but, without rebooting the server, is there any command line I can use to show me that relationship, two internal, and they are bound as a logical name, and /dev/sda is a logical name, there are two physical ones underneath?
    From a default o/s perspective, no. You can try and use the IPMI drivers in the o/s to talk to hardware. There is also light-out-management (LOM) - do you have the management ports of that Sunfire server wired? You should - IMO one cannot effectively manage servers without LOM.

Those Sunfire servers have a SP (Service Processor) with a basic integrated Linux kernel and a bunch of commands for access h/w sensors and configuration. The SP is accessed via ssh through the management port. On the original Sunfire models you configure the IP for the SP via the little LCD display on the front.

Newer server sports https interfaces for LOM. The Sunfire range uses Java based applets and the HP Pro-L range uses Java and .Net.

I think Sun also released a special set of IPMI drivers for the original Sunfire model that could be used on Solaris (x86) and Linux. It came on the Sun CD kit with the server.

Bottom line though - the o/s should not have to be concerned about how h/w RAID looks like. It simply needs to run (robustly) on the configured h/w. So if one needs to know how the h/w is configured... then rebooting and investigating the h/w configuration via CMOS and h/w settings is the most reliable option IMO.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points