This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 10:24 PM by BhaviSavla RSS

RMAN Convert on DR

BhaviSavla Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
We have Oracle 10g(10.2.0.4) database on Windows 2003 platform. We want to migrate it to linux using rman convert command.
We tried taking the backup on DR but while runnning checkdb we faced an error stating that there are active transactions in the database and we need to open the database in read-write mode roll back transaction and try again. As it is a production DR we cannot open it in read-write.
Is it possible to take RMAN Convert command backup from DR?
  • 1. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Check this
    http://www.coarsys.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=201:cross-platform-migration-using-rman-convert-database&catid=72:sap&Itemid=88

also check the document
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B19306_01/backup.102/b14191/dbxptrn.htm#CHDCCDAE
  • 2. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    JohnWatson Guru
    Bhavi Savla wrote:
    We tried taking the backup on DR but while runnning checkdb we faced an error stating that there are active transactions in the database
    What is "checkdb"?
  • 4. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE
    We tried taking the backup on DR
    You can take backups from the DR. But RMAN CONVERT requires the files to be Read Only.
    You'd have to stop Recovery at the DR database and then open it READ ONLY.
    Do you want to CONVERT the datafiles on the DR site in-situ (i.e. in place as they are without making copies) ?

BTW, what is "checkdb" in
    but while runnning checkdb we faced an error stating that there are active transactions in the database
    Hemant K Chitale
  • 5. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    BhaviSavla Explorer
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:
    We tried taking the backup on DR
    You can take backups from the DR. But RMAN CONVERT requires the files to be Read Only.
    You'd have to stop Recovery at the DR database and then open it READ ONLY.
    Do you want to CONVERT the datafiles on the DR site in-situ (i.e. in place as they are without making copies) ?
    Thanks Mr. Hemant for the reply. I want to migrate the database from Windows platform to Linux platform. For that I want the rman copy fo datafiles, so that I can directly copy to it on my linux platform in the asm. I tried doing the same as mentioned above, stopped the MRP and shutdown the database and restarted it in read-only mode but i faced an error while running DBMS_TDB.CHECK_DB stating that there are active transactions in the database. I even tried shutting the production database and copied all the archivelogs, and even after applying them I got the same error. I wish to run the backup on DR to save on production downtime.

BTW, what is "checkdb" in
    but while runnning checkdb we faced an error stating that there are active transactions in the database
    Sorry i mean DBMS_TDB.CHECK_DB to check whether a database can be transported to a desired destination platform, and whether the current state of the database permits transport.

Regards,
    Bhavi Savla.
  • 6. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    shutdown the database and restarted it in read-only mode but i faced an error while running DBMS_TDB.CHECK_DB stating that there are active transactions in the database
    I even tried shutting the production database and copied all the archivelogs, and even after applying them I got the same error
    Interesting.
    It would mean that you have transactions that are present in undo but not committed or rolled back yet.

With the copy of the database you could STARTUP RESTRICT (i.e. in READ WRITE mode) and then SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE followed by STARTUP MOUNT ; ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY.

The first STARTUP .. SHUTDOWN cycle above should ensure that uncomitted transactions are rolled back before the next STARTUP MOUNT.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 7. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    BhaviSavla Explorer
    Hemant K Chitale wrote:
    shutdown the database and restarted it in read-only mode but i faced an error while running DBMS_TDB.CHECK_DB stating that there are active transactions in the database
    I even tried shutting the production database and copied all the archivelogs, and even after applying them I got the same error
    Interesting.
    It would mean that you have transactions that are present in undo but not committed or rolled back yet.

With the copy of the database you could STARTUP RESTRICT (i.e. in READ WRITE mode) and then SHUTDOWN IMMEDIATE followed by STARTUP MOUNT ; ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY.

The first STARTUP .. SHUTDOWN cycle above should ensure that uncomitted transactions are rolled back before the next STARTUP MOUNT.

Hemant K Chitale
    The issue is that I want run the backup on the DR database, hence i cant open it in READ-WRITE mode. Just to clarify, did you mean I have to run the above steps on Production database which can be opened in READ-WRITE. I actually checked DBMS_TDB.CHECK_DB on production and it did not show any active transactions error as it did on DR. So I am confused whether at all I can take the RMAN Convert Backup on DR by opening it in Read Only mode?
  • 8. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    No, I am suggesting doing it on a copy of production, not production. The copy (hopefully on another server, just as the DR database is on another server) can be opened READ ONLY.

Hemant K Chitale
  • 9. Re: RMAN Convert on DR
    BhaviSavla Explorer
    So basically its doubtful if we can do it on DR??

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points