6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 11:22 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Seeking Help In upgradation of 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC.

DBA2013
      Hi Experts,

I Need a help in upgradating my database on Linux plateform from 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC system.

I checked the oracle documentation, Since it is new to me, am little confused about it.

Can some one please help me out by sending step by step approach if ever done before, so that I can give it a try over my plateform.

Thanks,
        • 1. Re: Seeking Help In upgradation of 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC.
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          Pl post a link to the documentation you read, and what you did not understand in it. How much downtime can you afford for your upgrade ?

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/toc.htm

Oracle 11gR2 Upgrade Companion [ID 785351.1]
          Master Note For Oracle Database Upgrades and Migrations [ID 1152016.1]

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: Seeking Help In upgradation of 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC.
            Krishna-Oracle
            Hi,
            For DB upgrade instructions, kindly refer
            Note 419550.1 : Different Upgrade Methods For Upgrading Your Database
            Note 837570.1 : Complete Checklist for Manual Upgrades to 11gR2
            Note 870814.1 : Complete checklist to upgrade the database to 11gR2 using DBUA

Thanks,
            Krishna
            • 3. Re: Seeking Help In upgradation of 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC.
              DBA2013
              Thanks guys for providing me all details of upgradation:

I have read all of them, I just need three clarifications;

1. Do I need to apply any patch over 10.2.0.3 over cluster home/asm home/rdbms home before upgrading it to 11.2.0.3
              2. Once I get a single name from my Network admin for scan, which could resolve three ip address(2 Nodes means 6 ip addresses), How will i configure it on DNS and add it in listener/tnsnames.ora file

3. Since I dont need to use DBUA, once i run the ./runInstaller for rdbms, it will directly ask me to upgrade the database, so once it is done, do i still need to run anything(any script) over database in "Upgrade Mode". or simply some recompilation script in open mode?

Please help me in these three quries, rest i understood, what needs to be done.
              • 4. Re: Seeking Help In upgradation of 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC.
                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                982955 wrote:
                Thanks guys for providing me all details of upgradation:

I have read all of them, I just need three clarifications;

1. Do I need to apply any patch over 10.2.0.3 over cluster home/asm home/rdbms home before upgrading it to 11.2.0.3
                None that I know of - but pl also ask in the RAC Forum - Reports
                2. Once I get a single name from my Network admin for scan, which could resolve three ip address(2 Nodes means 6 ip addresses), How will i configure it on DNS and add it in listener/tnsnames.ora file
                Pl ask in the RAC Installation forum - RAC, ASM & Clusterware Installation
                3. Since I dont need to use DBUA, once i run the ./runInstaller for rdbms, it will directly ask me to upgrade the database, so once it is done, do i still need to run anything(any script) over database in "Upgrade Mode". or simply some recompilation script in open mode?
                runInstaller simply installs the 11.2.0.3 software. Once the software install is complete, you will still need to use DBUA to upgrade the database from 10gR2 to 11gR2 - pl re-read the docs links specified above :-)
                Please help me in these three quries, rest i understood, what needs to be done.
                HTH
                Srini
                • 5. Re: Seeking Help In upgradation of 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC.
                  DBA2013
                  THanks Srini sir, I have uploaded the question on RAC form, however would like to know, What is the use of OPtion we get when we run ./runInstaller of 11gR2 on RAC setup..Out of place upgrade, We get an Option : Upgrade Database(Existing one) and Install Database. If we strive the Upgrade option, what will it do..doesnt it automatically upgrades the stuff without using DBUA. Please clear my doubt please?
                  • 6. Re: Seeking Help In upgradation of 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 on Two Node RAC.
                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                    runInstaller options are referring to upgrading the binaries in an existing HOME, or installing binaries in a new HOME. The install process does not upgrade the database. This has to be done separately after the binaries are installed.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24321/inst_task.htm#BABJGGJH

HTH
                    Srini