2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 21, 2013 1:25 PM by EdStevens RSS

ulimit for oracle user

EdStevens
      OL 5.6 x86-64, running under VirtualBox

Background
      I've built quite a few sandbox servers under Vbox, and always loaded the necessary packages with a 'yum install oracle-validated'. Also using a standard template .bash_profile, that includes this information regarding ulimit
      if [ $USER = "oracle" ]; then
        if [ $SHELL = "/bin/ksh" ]; then
          ulimit -p 16384
          ulimit -n 65536
        else
          ulimit -u 16384 -n 65536
        fi
      fi
      #
      no problems with any of the above

Issue
      Now I've decided to build a box that mimics one of my production servers as closely as I can get it. To that end, instead of installing 'oracle-validated', I went to the production box and captured the output of 'rpm -qa', then edited that output turn each line into a 'yum -y install ...' command, and executed the result on the vm.

Now, when I connect as 'oracle' I get
      -bash: ulimit: max user processes: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted
      I'm not sure of what I could have done differently this time to result in this behavior.
        • 1. Re: ulimit for oracle user
          Dude!
          The ulimit facility provides hard and soft limits. With the ulimit command, you can change your soft limits, up to the maximum set by the hard limits.

To see current hard and soft limits:
          ulimit -Ha
          ulimit -Sa

Account specific limits are set in /etc/security/limits.conf. You will most likely need to increase the limits of the Oracle user. In particular add the following:

oracle soft nofile 131072
          oracle hard nofile 131072
          oracle soft nproc 131072
          oracle hard nproc 131072
          oracle soft core unlimited
          oracle hard core unlimited
          oracle soft memlock 50000000
          oracle hard memlock 50000000

The oracle-validated package does more than just triggering the installation of additional packages. It also sets various system kernel and oracle account parameters. For details:

# wget http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/latest/x86_64/oracle-validated-1.1.0-17.el5.x86_64.rpm
          # rpm2cpio oracle-validated-1.1.0-17.el5.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv

Then analyze the files.
          • 2. Re: ulimit for oracle user
            EdStevens
            just what I needed. Thanks.