This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 1:37 AM by gimbal2 RSS

Problem with java update

Rafal Z Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hallo,
I'm not sure if this is the right place for my question, but after a longer search I didn't find any matching place. My question: my java-installation doesn't update automatically. In java control panel the tab "update" is lacking. I have installed jdk1.6.0_37 with jre6. Wether in folder jdk1.6.0_37/bin nor jre6/bin I can't see the program jucheck.exe. Java was installed with downloaded java installer. I wonder why I can find the tab "update" although this tab is explicit showed on pictures at site: http://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_update.xml?

with regards

Rafal Ziolkowski
  • 1. Re: Problem with java update
    gimbal2 Guru
    I don't remember an "offline" installation (the ones you download from oracle.com) does automatic updating, only the runtimes you download through java.com. At least that's the case in my current environment; my JDK+runtime is left alone, the runtime I installed through java.com (for the plugins) auto updates. That's fine with me, I like to manage my development installation myself and upgrade when I am ready for it, not when Oracle decides I'm ready.
  • 2. Re: Problem with java update
    Rafal Z Newbie
    I see, I've istalled it from Oracle, not from java.com. Never realized that difference. The advantage of update procedure is that you don't need to modify any system relevant settings, for example the default path to java for netbeans. Each time I download and install a new update from Oracle, new folder for jdk will be created. For example I tried to update my java on my Mac after last security warning, but my netbeans on mac doesn't see any changes, also new version of JavaFX (2.2) is not reachable. Next time I try it to install from java.com. Thanks for the explanation.

with regards

Rafal Ziolkowski
  • 3. Re: Problem with java update
    gimbal2 Guru
    user10418558 wrote:
    I see, I've istalled it from Oracle, not from java.com. Never realized that difference. The advantage of update procedure is that you don't need to modify any system relevant settings, for example the default path to java for netbeans. Each time I download and install a new update from Oracle, new folder for jdk will be created. For example I tried to update my java on my Mac after last security warning, but my netbeans on mac doesn't see any changes, also new version of JavaFX (2.2) is not reachable. Next time I try it to install from java.com. Thanks for the explanation.
    Yes but because I know how to properly manage my software installation, of course I first uninstall old versions. And I do a proper custom installation too so I can pick a proper path; I install the JDK/runtime in the same spot always so tools don't have a reason to get confused. Its basic computer 101 stuff that was common knowledge a decade ago, but that basic computer education seems to have been lost.

Note that the java.com runtime is aimed at end-users, not developers. You can't install a JDK that way for example. It will also prompt you to install an idiotic toolbar, so don't click next next next.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points