This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 5:02 AM by 792858 RSS

Would you use Flash Recovery Area ?

N.Page Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
DB version : 11.2.0.3
Platform : Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.3

Yes. By configuring FRA, directories and subdirectories will be created automatically based on file type and date for recovery related files .
Are there any other compelling reasons to configure FRA ?

Any compelling reasons not to configure FRA ?
  • 1. Re: Would you use Flash Recovery Area ?
    Mihael Pro
    Yes. By configuring FRA, directories and subdirectories will be created automatically based on file type and date for recovery related files .
    Are there any other compelling reasons to configure FRA ?
    FRA is required only for flash back logs. Other destinations can be set manually.

>
    Any compelling reasons not to configure FRA ?
    If you want manually control space for backups and archivelogs.
  • 2. Re: Would you use Flash Recovery Area ?
    Pinela Journeyer
    Hi N.Page,

Occasionally ppl have some doubts regarding the FRA. I am not sure why.
    There is another such post but I didn't find it.

The FRA can simplify your configuration and management, of backups and archivelogs.
    (I often use it just for the archivelogs, since I believe that the backups can sit outside the FRA. This, because I believe based on my short years that archivelog generation, requires almost hourly management, while backup only daily).

Please take a look at:
    Benefits Of Using Flash Recovery Area [ID 560133.1]

hope it helped.
    br,
    jpinela.
  • 3. Re: Would you use Flash Recovery Area ?
    792858 Pro
    Hi,
    No reason not to use FRA, it is an advantage on every aspect of the protect/backup/restore/recovery process.
    - easier to multiplex the critical files (redo logs / controlfiles) even if on this aspect you can use DB_CREATE_ONLINE_LOG_DEST_X instead if you want 0 permanent file in the FRA
    - easier to backup (basically backup to the FRA on disk with the suggested strategy, backup the FRA to tape)
    - easier to restore/recover, you can catalog files in the FRA with one command etc. etc. etc.
    You don't lose any control using the FRA, you can have sophisticated retention policy if you want...
    With OMF + FRA Oracle gives us a complete way to manage the Oracle files and to be completely independent from the platform, no OS commands/knowledge needed anymore for the DBA, we can work exclusively at Oracle level.
    Implicit crosscheck/catalog of the FRA by RMAN can be a problem in some rare cases but the pros of the FRA are far more important than the cons.
    Best regards
    Phil

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points