2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 11:32 AM by sivausin RSS

Missing Calculation Plan option with in the AWM

sivausin
      HI Experts,

I am trying to create a forecast measure and what to create a calculaltion plan to populate the data into this new measure. But based on the Oracle document on creating the calculation plan, I do not see the option in the AWM11.2.0.2 version. I use the same version of the AWM to create all my OLAP cubes.

Can Any provide any pointers? Thanks is Advance. I am in critical situation, so pls help me.

Thanks
      S
        • 1. Re: Missing Calculation Plan option with in the AWM
          DavidGreenfield
          AWM 10g had a UI screen for defining forecast measures that, under the covers, generated an OLAP DML program to call the built-in 'Geneva Forecasting Engine'.

Unfortunately this screen did not make it into AWM 11g, so you would need to write the OLAP DML yourself to do the forecast and populate the appropriate VARIABLE objects. You can then call the OLAP DML program directly or add it to a "cube script" defined in AWM. While this may seem like a backwards step from 10g, my personal opinion is that coding the forecast yourself will give you more control and (ultimately) better performance than the primitive support available in AWM 10g.

The 10g AWM support was based on a handful of OLAP DML commands:

<li>FCOPEN function -- Creates a forecasting context.

<li>FCSET command -- Specifies the forecast characteristics.

<li>FCEXEC command -- Executes a forecast and populates Oracle OLAP variables with forecasting data.

<li>FCQUERY function -- Retrieves information about the characteristics of a forecast or a trial of a forecast.

<li>FCCLOSE command -- Closes a forecasting context.

Search for "Forecasting Programs" in the OLAP DML Reference guide to see details. Here is an example (copied from the documentation) so that you can see what such a program would look like. You would need to change the variable names to match the variables in your cubes.
          DEFINE autofcst PROGRAM
          PROGRAM
          " Using the Automatic forecasting method 
          " Suppose you want to create a forecast from the data in 
          " an input variable named fcin1 that is dimensionsed by 
          " a time dimension named timedim. 
          "
          " Open a forecasting context
          hndl = FCOPEN('MyForecast')
          " Initialize the target variables
          fcout1 = NA
          fcseas1 = NA
          fcsmseas1 = NA
          " Specify that the forecast be of the AUTOMATIC type
          fcset hndl method 'automatic'
          " Execute the forecast
          FCEXEC hndl time timedim INTO fcout1 -
                seasonal fcseas1 smseasonal fcsmseas1 backcast fcin1
          " Close the forecasting context
          FCCLOSE hndl
          END
          • 2. Re: Missing Calculation Plan option with in the AWM
            sivausin
            THanks David for the inputs. It is very unfortunate to miss this in the UI. I am not that good at the forecast funtions that you mentioned. I have questions regarding those.

Q1. What is a the object that is mentioned in 'MyForecast' specified in the below piece of code? Is that a Cube/Measure or the new measure that we create for forecast values ?

" Open a forecasting context
            hndl = FCOPEN('MyForecast')

Q2. Based on the below FCEXEC st, where do am I specifying the name of the measure that I want to use ? and what is the measure that It is trying to populate the forecast values.

" Execute the forecast
            FCEXEC hndl time timedim INTO fcout1 -
            seasonal fcseas1 smseasonal fcsmseas1 backcast fcin1

Q3. Once after the runing this dml program, how can I see the forecast values in the UI, on what measure ?

Can u please answers these questions so that I can try on with OLAP DML.

thanks
            S