This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 1:20 PM by ajazjn RSS

Doubts regarding "/dev/oracleasm/disks/"

Fabricio_Jorge Explorer
Currently Being Moderated
Hello all,

Again, on my tests, i face another doubts. I have installed the oracleasm libs on my OEL 6.2 64 bits to install Grid Infrastructure 11.2 64 bits. I have stamped 4 disks using "/etc/init.d/oracleasm createdisk" and checked then with "/etc/init.d/oracleasm listdisks"... the 4 stamped disks appear to me. My first doubt appeared when i was going to use the rawdevises service. On OEL 6.2, i couldn't find it. Doing some researches, i found that the use of raw devices on ASM is being deprecated... is this really true? I rebember that on a installation of Grid 11.2 that a performed on a CentOS 5.8, i was able to edit then file "/etc/sysconfig/rawdevices" to add the raw devices stamped as ASM disks. Ex: "/dev/raw/raw1 /dev/sdd". On OEL6.2, i could'nt find this file and its service.

Returning to the main doubt, i have installed Grid 11.2 on my OEL 6.2 successfully, but at the time of creating the ASM instance, another doubt appeared: Using the disk discovery path "/dev/oracleasm/disks/" show me the disks that i have stamped as asm disks, but i never used this discovery path before. I would like to know if it is correct to use this discovery path?

Thanks for your help.
  • 1. Re: Doubts regarding "/dev/oracleasm/disks/"
    Levi-Pereira Guru
    Returning to the main doubt, i have installed Grid 11.2 on my OEL 6.2 successfully, but at the time of creating the ASM instance, another doubt appeared: Using the disk discovery path "/dev/oracleasm/disks/" show me the disks that i have stamped as asm disks, but i never used this discovery path before. I would like to know if it is correct to use this discovery path?
    The Oracle Linux ASMLib (herein "ASMLib") is composed of two pieces. The first piece is the actual ASMLib library. This is a userspace library loaded by Oracle at Oracle startup. The second is a kernel driver that is loaded into the OS kernel at system boot.
    You should not be using /dev/oracleasm/disks because then you won't use ASMLIB but access the disks via normal O/S system calls (i.e Not use ASMLIb Userspace). This forfeits the idea behind asmlib (and thus makes asmlib obsolete on these systems).

regards,
    Levi Pereira
  • 2. Re: Doubts regarding "/dev/oracleasm/disks/"
    ajazjn Newbie
    This documentation may help to your problem. http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e22489/storage.htm

ajazjn76.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points