This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 3:39 PM by SleepDeprivedInSeattle RSS

Classic Report: Download to CSV doesn't download numbers with carets

SleepDeprivedInSeattle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a page with a number of reports on it - so I have to use the Classic Report. Each of the reports has a "download to excel" option. And, because the report is a financial report, the users want the positive numbers to display normal and the <negative> numbers do display with the <> carets. This is possible using the standard format: 999G999G999G999G990D00PR

But when they export the report to excel, the positive numbers export but the negative numbers are blank (they don't appear in the export at all).

This works if I use an interactive report but, as mentioned above, i have multiple reports on the same page and I can't use the interactive report option.

I have duplicated the problem on apex.oracle.com
WORKSPACE: TEST_CLASSIC_REPORT
USER ID: TEST_USER
Password: blanket1

Is this a bug with APEX? Is there a work-around I can use? I tried making the column twice with different formatting but it didn't want to work right.

Thank you

--seattle

Using APEX 4.1.0.00.32
Oracle 11g

Duplicated the problem using APEX 4.2
  • 1. Re: Classic Report: Download to CSV doesn't download numbers with carets
    fac586 Guru
    SleepDeprivedInSeattle wrote:
    I have a page with a number of reports on it - so I have to use the Classic Report. Each of the reports has a "download to excel" option. And, because the report is a financial report, the users want the positive numbers to display normal and the <negative> numbers do display with the <> carets. This is possible using the standard format: 999G999G999G999G990D00PR

But when they export the report to excel, the positive numbers export but the negative numbers are blank (they don't appear in the export at all).

This works if I use an interactive report but, as mentioned above, i have multiple reports on the same page and I can't use the interactive report option.

I have duplicated the problem on apex.oracle.com
    WORKSPACE: TEST_CLASSIC_REPORT
    USER ID: TEST_USER
    Password: blanket1

Is this a bug with APEX?
    Could be. Something similar has been reported before: +{message:id=4395427}+
    Is there a work-around I can use? I tried making the column twice with different formatting but it didn't want to work right.
    Two versions of the column displayed conditionally should work.

Add a copy of the required column(s) to the query:
    select
        test_table_id
      , test_table_desc
      , test_table_amount
      , test_table_amount test_table_amount_csv
    from
        test_table
    Set the format mask for the normal column to <tt>999G999G999G999G990D00PR</tt>, and leave that for the CSV column blank (or use a format that doesn't include the <tt>PR</tt> specification).

Notice that the Export link URL uses an APEX <tt>REQUEST</tt> value beginning with "FLOW_EXCEL_OUTPUT" to determine that the report export has been requested:
    http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=66643:1:12896346742738:FLOW_EXCEL_OUTPUT_R10086972522979338823_en
    This <tt>REQUEST</tt> value can be used in a PL/SQL expression in column conditions to control which column is included. The condition for the normal column shown on screen is:
    coalesce(:request, 'X') not like 'FLOW_EXCEL_OUTPUT%'
    and that for the CSV column included in the export file is:
    :request like 'FLOW_EXCEL_OUTPUT%'
  • 2. Re: Classic Report: Download to CSV doesn't download numbers with carets
    SleepDeprivedInSeattle Newbie
    That was it! Thank you for all your help!

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points