4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 10:28 PM by Dolda2000 RSS

Avoid storing of jnlp on client

Hi,

I generate a jnlp on server to start a JavaFX application. Is it possible to avoid the saving of the jnlp file on the client? E. g. in Firefox I even see the generated jnlp in the separate window "Downloads". There is each jnlp displayed with a number as suffix.

Regards
      Oliver
        • 1. Re: Avoid storing of jnlp on client
          Kayaman
          Why would you want to avoid that?
          • 2. Re: Avoid storing of jnlp on client
            gimbal2
            opfl wrote:
            Hi,

I generate a jnlp on server to start a JavaFX application. Is it possible to avoid the saving of the jnlp file on the client? E. g. in Firefox I even see the generated jnlp in the separate window "Downloads". There is each jnlp displayed with a number as suffix.
            You already hit the nail on the head there - its something the browser does, not your application. You are not going to control what a browser can or cannot do.
            • 3. Re: Avoid storing of jnlp on client
              Because the idea was to generate jnlp on the server with properties like encrypted user name and password (for a following backend call). If the file is "laying around", another user could execute the jnlp and gain access to the application. But this approach is bad I think. It is a little bit off topic here, but I think will start an applet with jnlp. This applet will open my JavaFX client window. The communication (pass user or other things) can be done via javascript (dtjava.js). So there is no need to generate the jnlp, it can be static and without properties.
              • 4. Re: Avoid storing of jnlp on client
                Dolda2000
                I have a very similar issue (caused by JNLP files being stored on the client), but for different reasons.

I have a few sysprops that I define in my JNLP file, and once in a while I might want to change those (for instance, some of them point to external URLs that the program may want to open and display to the user and other such things).

The problem I'm having is that many users simply download the JNLP file and then "double-click" it again to start the program again at later dates, rather than going to the JNLP file's URL or using the start menu item. Quite understandable and reasonable behavior in and of itself, but the problem is that JWS doesn't recheck the file at its source location (as specified by the `codebase' and `href' attributes on the `jnlp' tag) when that hapens, and therefore the users don't get the updated properties, and get pointed to stale locations.

I realize, of course, that I can't make the browser not save the JNLP file, nor do I really want to do that, but is there a way I can at least force JWS to recheck the JNLP file at its source rather than just reusing whatever is lying there on disk?