2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2013 9:04 AM by 587515 RSS

How to technically reduce the need for Oracle BPM user licenses

Dear gurus,

my organization wants to adopt Oracle BPM but it has a serious problem to overcome. It has a huge number of external partners (around 5500) which can start processes and monitor their statuses.
      According to Oracle license scheme for all these partners there should be a separate license purchased. However this would make the whole cost of acquiring Oracle BPM very high for my organization.
      The partners will use a 3-party portal to start and monitor the processes by means of the web services that Oracle BPM offers. However this is not license-free for Oracle, either .

How would technically be feasible to make the use of Oracle BPM free for the partners?
      For example, is it feasible (and easy) to represent the partners with a single user and use this one to start and monitor processes?

This is how I imagine this solution:

1. Oracle BPM would work in the back-end. No Oracle BPM Workspace will be offered to the partners. The GUI will be implemented in a 3-party portal .
      2. The partners will log in in the 3-party portal which, in its turn, authenticate them in the single partner account in Oracle BPM.
      3. The processes that will be implemented in Oracle BPM will be exposed as web services.
      4. The processes that will be implemented in Oracle BPM will have a process variable that will store the unique id of the partner. Upon invocation of a process (through its web service) the id of the partner will be passed over from the 3-party portal.
      5. By means of the 3-party portal the Oracle BPM service will be queries for the processes and their statuses using the unique id of the partner.

Has anybody else encountered the problem of having to offer Oracle BPM to a huge number of users?
      Is the above solution feasible and easy to implement?
        • 1. Re: How to technically reduce the need for Oracle BPM user licenses
          Daniel Atwood
          Hi,

I think you need to talk to your Oracle Sales Rep to get this straightened out.

What I think you're describing is that you have:

1. process participants that can be people inside or outside your company
          2. the participants would access instances running on Oracle BPM / SOA Suite domains that you purchase
          3. they would be running on your severs.

Is it possible you have it set up with Oracle to have per user licensing? Perhaps that's what you're running into.
          • 2. Re: How to technically reduce the need for Oracle BPM user licenses
            Daniel,
            the licensing scheme will be per user. Per CPU is considered very expensive.
            there are going to be internal users who will run human tasks of the processes. These will be employees of my organization.
            The external users (partners) will start the processes through the 3-party portal and will subsequently monitor their status.
            What Iam trying to do is alleviate the need for buying licenses for the external users. And this is why Iam trying to map them to one user for Oracle BPM.