This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 7:43 AM by EdSpn RSS

Plug-In with only Response metric: Target status: "status pending"

EdSpn Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi all,

I am trying to build a plug-in, where I have taken the Oracle Host Sample plug-in and removed all extra bits, so what is left is just the minimal 'Response' metric.
This plug-in is deployed and I can see the target in the target list, but the status of the target stays "Status Pending Since     Dec 22, 2012 12:00:00 AM".

I did run a collection and these report success.
[oracle@server agent]$ $AGENT_HOME/bin/emctl control agent runCollection "EdTarget1:EdTarget1" Response
Oracle Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c Release 2
Copyright (c) 1996, 2012 Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.
---------------------------------------------------------------
EMD runCollection completed successfully
What am I missing? How can I debug/trace this?

Database Server: Oracle EE 11gR2
Oracle Ent Mngr: Oracle EM 12cR2

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Best regards,
Ed
  • 1. Re: Plug-In with only Response metric: Target status: "status pending"
    jriel Newbie
    What platform is your agent on? Does the sample plugin work unmodified? How, exactly, did you add the target instance and what did you specify for the UseGeneratedData property? Are there any errors in the agent or OMS logs?
  • 2. Re: Plug-In with only Response metric: Target status: "status pending"
    EdSpn Newbie
    Hi,

Thank you for the feedback. That was actually quite helpful. I dug up the agent log (in my $EMHOME/sysman/log) and also found/read the Programmer's Reference, chapter 3.9 Troubleshooting the Target Creation Process, as this also describes what to check for "My target continues to show a pending status".

Logfile gcagent.log looks helpful as well, as it shows all agent feedback. In this I can see a message indicating a script result issue:
    Found a row with more columns than declared for the metric for TargetID = EdTarget1, Metric = Response
    Row = *** row contents suppressed ***
    I think this has all to do with me taking the "host sample demo" plug-in and stripping all 'extra' bits and pieces out of it, only leaving hte Response parameter to show if the target is up or down. The data_collector.pl script of the "host sample demo" actually returns load and status for "Response", which is *2* metrics. I only have 1 metric column 'Response' defined in my Target Type Definition document.

Thanks for pointing me in right direction!
    Ed

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points