This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 23, 2013 7:36 AM by TimG RSS

Essbase to Oracle

672280 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All -

Is essbase capable of loading data directly into relational database? if so, is it through APIs or through some native commands?

Currently we've a requirement to load essbase data into oracle tables based on a trigger. We do extract the data & load it through SQL loader. The entire process is automated through batch script, however we would like to see if the SQL loader process can be eliminated from here. We're using v9.3.1.

Thanks in advance!
  • 1. Re: Essbase to Oracle
    TimG Guru
    From 9.3.0 you have the DATAEXPORT calculation script command to write directly to a relational database via ODBC. For 9.3.1, see http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E10530_01/doc/epm.931/html_esb_techref/calc/dataexport.htm.
  • 2. Re: Essbase to Oracle
    672280 Newbie
    Thanks Tim.

How about ASO cube? There is no equivalent DATAEXPORT Command in ASO ... i read somewhere that Star integration server can do it though. But other than that, any more option in 9.3.1.

Thanks!
  • 3. Re: Essbase to Oracle
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE
    I think it watching out with 9.3.1 as I am sure there are a few bugs with dataexport, also if you are on 64bit essbase then I dont think the export to relational works to well

Cheers

John
    http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
  • 4. Re: Essbase to Oracle
    TimG Guru
    It may be possible to use XML/A from PL/SQL. Essbase.ru has a Google Code project out there for it but I'm pretty sure that was created for 11, so whether that approach could work in 9.3.1 I'm afraid I have no idea (XML/A was at least part of Provider Services then). Essbase.ru's blog is (reasonably enough!) written in Russian - not sure about the documentation, if any, that's in the Google Code project - but at least for the blog entries Chrome will translate on the fly to the point where it's readable in English. Haven't used it but I admire the effort / skill involved!

You could also write an API program or use the Perl module with MaxL to execute an MDX query and parse/ push the results.

All these options sound like a lot of work, unless you have a really, really strong reason to want to avoid creating that file...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points