2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 8:48 AM by Danieledd

NPD - Activity template with "Document Collaboration with in-place editing"

Danieledd
      Hello,

when I create an activity template with "Document Collaboration with in-place editing" activity type, system shows me the field "Use Supporting Document as template for collaboration" in the toolbox TAB.

This field did not get displayed with a different activity type.

Would you please explain why it came out and what impact it has when ticking it or not?

Thanks and regards
      Daniel
        • 1. Re: NPD - Activity template with "Document Collaboration with in-place editing"
          ChristopherEverett-Oracle
          When using "Document Collaboration with in-place editing" activities, you are given the option of pre-populating the activity
          with template documents from the toolbox when the activity is created. This is done by checking the
          'Use Support Document as template for collaboration' checkbox in the toolbox. Any toolbox documents checked in this way
          will be added to any Document Collaboration activities created in the stage corresponding to the toolbox document.

One of the main features of document collaboration with in-place editing is passing a document from step to step and knowing
          how it changes over time.

The feature you are referring to allows you to go one step further. You can attach the standard document to the template’s
          toolbox and then when a user invokes an instance of the activity a copy of the toolbox document is automatically staged for
          in-place editing.

This allows standardization of documents via PLM.
          • 2. Re: NPD - Activity template with "Document Collaboration with in-place editing"
            Danieledd
            Hello,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply.

Unfortunately I am still a bit confused. I expect the system to have the functionality you describe regardless of this field.

I create an activity template with Document Collaboration with in-place editing activity type.

I upload a file in the toolbox and tick the field "Use Support Document as template for collaboration".
            What does it happen when I create an activity from this activity template?

I upload a file in the toolbox and do not tick the field "Use Support Document as template for collaboration".
            What does it happen when I create an activity from this activity template?

Finally, you say as follows:

"...passing a document from step to step and knowing how it changes over time..."

I am aware of the field to allow to pull files from the previous activity step. However if user forgets doing it and a step is skipped, this functionality does not work anymore. Also, system keeps track of changes over time only when these changes are made from a step to another. No file history for changes within the same step. No users history for changes within the same step.

From my understanding of this functionality, it is a bit disappointing.
            Am I missing anything?

Thanks and regards
            Daniel