This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 9:48 AM by 945142 RSS

Packaging custom directory installation

Celer Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
All

Is there a way to customise where the package is installed to. Say we want to run two versions.
  • 1. Re: Packaging custom directory installation
    Narayan Pro
    Elaborate please ;)
  • 2. Re: Packaging custom directory installation
    Celer Newbie
    Apologies.

So currently when you install a JavaFX application on windows it will install into

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\<AppName>

Not if we have two installations one for UAT testing and one for production. Our application uses a URL to connect to each site and they could be running different versions. How can we install the application in say \<AppName>-UAT and -PRD
  • 3. Re: Packaging custom directory installation
    Narayan Pro
    Hi Celer,

Um.. seems like it is about the packaging in native platform using INNO Setup and Netbeans.
    I am afraid but currently changing the Installation directory is not available currently. But soon may be Netbeans will provide these options for the developer. If I were core ANT developer then I could have probably find but I do package the program using Netbeans which have all things gone inside.

Currently you can create two projects One with name <Project>-PRD and one with <Project>-UAT . By using this way while deploying you will get two different program and you can install it independently.

Or Alternatively you can link to the .iss script while compiling to make installation by your own config.
    As per my knowledge
    DefaultDirName={pf}\<NAME-OF-PROJECT>
    does the work of your problem . But I'm not quiet familiar with the iss script. I am from Java Family :)

Thanks
    Narayan
  • 4. Re: Packaging custom directory installation
    Celer Newbie
    Thanks for the response. Think we are going to move pack to our own packaging.
  • 5. Re: Packaging custom directory installation
    945142 Newbie
    Hi,

Yes, it's possible.

You can see a tutorial about this in this link: http://ed4becky.net/homepage/javafx-from-the-trenches-part-1-native-packaging/3/.

Using the tutorial, I make my installer ask for the directory to install and others things.

Luciano
  • 6. Re: Packaging custom directory installation
    Celer Newbie
    Can you share what you did on the packaging customisations? Do you have your INS script?
  • 7. Re: Packaging custom directory installation
    945142 Newbie
    Hi,

First I got the file myapp.iss like the tutorial and make a copy to the folder \myapproot\package\windows.

After I change the options using the Inno Setup help. For example: to show the option to change the directory to install my app, it's necessary change the key "DisableDirPage=no".

I like to use the "Inno Setup Studio", because the wizards are very helpfull.

Other files you can change is the images or using the archive myapp-post-image.wsf to copy other files to the JRE basic install.

One thing very important is add the "myAppRootDirectory" into "Ant" configuration in Netbeans. If you don't, the Netbeans don't get the custom files.

regards,

Luciano

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points