2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 2:04 AM by Nicolas Wipfli -Oracle RSS

Disk Array (StorEdge 3511 and CSM200) simple question

Hi I am new to this server hardware stuff hope you can help me out...

Got a Sun StorEdge 3511 SATA Array. I tried to connect to serial management port with 38400 baud 8N1 but the no response from the VT100 terminal.
      The cable and terminal appears fine as I unplugged the DB9 plug from the Sun StorEdge 3511 and plug into another Sun server and just change the baud rate then I can get response from the Sun server, but unplug it and plug it back to the Sun StorEdge 3511 and change back to 38400 and no response.
      So does that mean this StorEdge is dead? or is there any other tricks to get it working?

Also I got a stupid question on a CSM200 disk array, I think it is an expansion tray as there is no management port on it. Can they work independently without controller as a jbod dumb unit? Or attaching a controller is necessary?
        • 1. Re: Disk Array (StorEdge 3511 and CSM200) simple question
          Nik
          Hi.
          The cable and terminal appears fine as I unplugged the DB9 plug from the Sun StorEdge 3511
          and plug into another Sun server and just change the baud rate then I can get response from the Sun server,
          but unplug it and plug it back to the Sun StorEdge 3511 and change back to 38400 and no response.
          No one Sun servers have same connector as 3511. ( DB9 femail). So possible point of problem - gender changer.

What state of all LED on Controller ?

Your array have single or dual controller ?

About CSM200.

It's not supported as JBOD, but should work. IMHO.

Regards.
          • 2. Re: Disk Array (StorEdge 3511 and CSM200) simple question
            Nicolas Wipfli -Oracle
            >
            Also I got a stupid question on a CSM200 disk array, I think it is an expansion tray as there is no management port on it. Can they work independently without controller as a jbod dumb unit? Or attaching a controller is necessary?
            The simple answer is "not supported".
            And I doubt that this will work anyway because the CSM200 have IOMs with their firmware able to talk to the controllers but not necessarily to simple initiators. Anyway, setting up such unsupported configurations will for sure lead to unpredictable issues. The data integrity would not be guaranteed.

Nicolas