This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 6:17 AM by Osama_Mustafa RSS

oracle 8i client on win7 x64

user7346336 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
hi there, I am trying to install oracle 8i client onto a win7 x64 box. The client installs no problem. I can add the DSN entry into the 32bit odbc admin no problem (no test button on 8i version of the ODBC driver unfortunatley). However when I try to create a new report in crystal reports XI (32 bit app) and try to make a new database connection, I can see the DSN entry that I put into ODBC earlier but after i put in the username and password then press ok it just hangs. Crystal reports goes into a state of "not responding" but never comes back with an error. Any suggestions please (other than to upgrade the database from 8i ;-) )

regards
Chris
  • 1. Re: oracle 8i client on win7 x64
    sb92075 Guru
    user7346336 wrote:
    hi there, I am trying to install oracle 8i client onto a win7 x64 box. The client installs no problem. I can add the DSN entry into the 32bit odbc admin no problem (no test button on 8i version of the ODBC driver unfortunatley). However when I try to create a new report in crystal reports XI (32 bit app) and try to make a new database connection, I can see the DSN entry that I put into ODBC earlier but after i put in the username and password then press ok it just hangs. Crystal reports goes into a state of "not responding" but never comes back with an error. Any suggestions please (other than to upgrade the database from 8i ;-) )

regards
    Chris
    Down grade the OS to NT4; which actually supported 8i.

you have NO legitimate expectation that it should work.
  • 2. Re: oracle 8i client on win7 x64
    Catfive Lander Explorer
    Well, you could try upgrading your client software to something more recent. I think 10g clients can still connect to 8i databases.

Alternatively, downgrade you OS to Windows XP.

Windows 7/Vista introduced a whole new level of complexity as far as client software operation was concerned. Eliminate 7, and those problems shld disappear
  • 3. Re: oracle 8i client on win7 x64
    EdStevens Guru
    user7346336 wrote:

regards
    Chris
    and why is upgrading the database not an option? Seems the organization wants the latest and greatest of OS. Yet they are willing to run on a database that is totally out of support. The analogy would be an insistence that they continue to use rotary-dial telephones ....
  • 4. Re: oracle 8i client on win7 x64
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE
    Choose something Certified with Win 7

and 8i is unsupported now.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points