i have database in standard edition in 11g 184.108.40.206.0 the db size is around 50gb.now my requirement is i want to upgrade to enterprise edition in same release.So please tell me what would be the best way
1)shall i take export backup of SE and then shut database.
2)then deinstall SE and install EE in same oracle home and then prepare instance and take import.
i have also read that i shutdown databse deinstall SE and install EE in same home then start database .
data fles are on SAN
So whats the best way.
Also there are two databases installed as per client.One is shutdown and one running.
But as i am login to one datbase so able to check details for 1 database only.So they want to migrate both the databases to EE.
In Short , you need to follow the same approach as you would have followed in migrating any oracle to new oracle home irrespective of EE/SE
1. Install 11g EE in New oracle Home
2. Run utlu112i.sql & fix the ore-requisites if any from new oracle home
3. Copy parameter file , password file , listener.ora, sqlnet.orac, tnanames.ora to new EE oracle home & change necessary parameter in parameter file w.r.t new home
4. Shutdown existing DB & change .profie/environment variables orcle home/ld library path to new home
5. Startup upgrade & run catupgrd.sql , catuppst.sql & utlrp.sql
6. Run utlu112s.sql & other post-upgrade steps
Keep existing datafile untouched , Verify dependency over old home (SE) & it after taking backup
Refer oracle docs for further details
I would be really interested in the reasons why your company choose to upgrade from SE to EE. It seems like a smallish database at around 50G (not that that database size is the most compelling reason to choose between SE or EE).
What are the features you are requiring in EE to make you upgrade?
It is very easy to convert standard edition to enterprise edition
Install 11g EE edition
Start the standard edition database using Enterprise edition home
execute catalog and catproc scripts
That will enable enterprise edition features