4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2013 6:37 AM by rgouw RSS

How to upgrade oracle 10g portal to Webcenter 11g?

Abhijit Dutta
      Hi,

How to upgrade oracle 10g portal to Webcenter 11g? Any docs / steps are available?

~Abhijit
        • 1. Re: How to upgrade oracle 10g portal to Webcenter 11g?
          Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
          Hi Abhijit,

the best available document I am aware of is here: https://blogs.oracle.com/webcenter/entry/oracle_webcenter_suite_-_givin

If you want further technical details, you may have to contact Oracle Consulting.

Jiri
          • 2. Re: How to upgrade oracle 10g portal to Webcenter 11g?
            Abhijit Dutta
            Jiri - thanks for your inputs. As I am new to webcenter world, just wanted to know that whether the below doc are sufficient to understand the upgrade process? Is there anything else documented?

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E23943_01/upgrade.1111/e10127/upgrade_webcenter_apps.htm#CIHFJAIF

~Abhijit
            • 3. Re: How to upgrade oracle 10g portal to Webcenter 11g?
              Jiri.Machotka-Oracle
              As I am new to webcenter world, just wanted to know that whether the below doc are sufficient to understand the upgrade process? Is there anything else documented?
              I'm afraid the answer is: it depends.

The link you mentioned refers to upgrade of WebCenter 10g apps to WebCenter 11g, and certainly, many points will be relevant even for cases of upgrading from Oracle Portal 10g to WebCenter 11g as WebCenter 10g took over AFAIK many Oracle Portal 10g concepts. However, without assessment no will be able to give up-front confirmation that all potential issues of migration are covered.
              • 4. Re: How to upgrade oracle 10g portal to Webcenter 11g?
                rgouw
                Abhijit,

As the architecture and the concepts are quite different in Oracle Portal and Oracle WebCenter Portal, there is no upgrade available out of the box.
                You might be able to use some Oracle Portal components in WebCenter Portal to move functionality from the old platform to the new platform, but an actual migration should be done manually.

In most cases you might consider not migrating at all.
                The functionality in WebCenter Portal is so different and has so many additional features that it might be wise to 'rebuild' your portal to enable social collaboration in it.
                What you often see as well is that Oracle Portal contains a lot of documents that might be better implemented as wiki's.

Kind regards,

Rob