This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2013 1:57 AM by 986899 RSS

Forms Developer 4.5 - Bring display item to front at runtime

986899 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have 10 square display items lined 2x5 to represent a rectangle shape on my form. The individual display items represent 10 positions on a pallet. Other display items are then used to represent an item that needs to placed onto a position on a pallet so affectivly your dragging a display item ontop of another display item.

My problem: It lets you drag the item onto it however it will not allow you to drag it back off. Even though it looks like your selecting the top item that is in focus, forms thinks your draggin the square behind it? How can I change the focus of display items at runtime?
  • 1. Re: Forms Developer 4.5 - Bring display item to front at runtime
    user346369 Expert
    Mercy! So you are trying to use click and drag capabilities of Forms to play with shapes???

Unfortunately, Forms is not a particularly good tool for that. Forms is better designed to interface with an Oracle database to view and update data stored in the database. And furthermore, v 4.5 of Forms is Oooooolllld! Supported version is Forms 11. The click-and-drag capabilities of the runtime forms were dropped when Forms migrated to a web-based tool. To facilitate that now, you would need a java interface.

Good luck!
  • 2. Re: Forms Developer 4.5 - Bring display item to front at runtime
    986899 Newbie
    Hi, unforunately the company I work for do not upgrade systems it would seem. The system is an old VAX running Oracle 7, the users interface to this is that old version of forms. I have successfully create one drag and drop interface for our users to make changes to the database however this one has different specification and in order for it to work I need to be able to place one display item on top of another. I have worked out how to do this and it works in a fashion however when dragged on top of the other display item it then disappears behind it. I need to bring it to the front at runtime... Any ideas?
  • 3. Re: Forms Developer 4.5 - Bring display item to front at runtime
    user346369 Expert
    I hope your PC doesn't fail. You might have trouble installing Forms 4.5 on Windows 7 or 8 platforms.

If I recall correctly, the only way to really ensure an item displays on top of all the others is to put it on its own stacked canvas with the same dimensions as the item. You can move the entire canvas around rather than the item, and if focus is ON the item (using go_item, for example), then that item will be on top of all others.

As soon as another item receives focus that is behind the canvas, the canvas will disappear.
  • 4. Re: Forms Developer 4.5 - Bring display item to front at runtime
    986899 Newbie
    ha chance of using windows 7 here would be a fine thing. We are still using xp.

Thank you, I have got that working using stacked canvases.

Appreciate the help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points