5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 7:17 AM by mseberg RSS

RMAN backup into multiple locations

nhidba
      Hi All,

Our database size is 1.4 TB. I am planning to schedule RMAN full backu. But i do not have mount point of size 1.4 TB. We have mount point /rmanbkp1 of size 1200GB and /rmanbkp2 of size 200GB. How can i distribute RMAN backup to these two filesystems.

Can i take tablespace level backups..?

Please suggest.

Thanks
      Sandeep Vadlamudi
        • 1. Re: RMAN backup into multiple locations
          mseberg
          Hello;

First of all 1200GB, might be enough since you probably are not using all the blocks in the 1.4 TB and will compress you will also lose less.

Can i take tablespace level backups..?

Yes but the value is limited. You cannot for example recover a dropped tablespace.

Test a backup first and get an idea of how much space you really need.

Also once you have a backup how do you free space for the next backup?

You could use the FORMAT command to backup the database to one location and the Archive to the other. 200 GB is not much space.

RMAN backup into more than one location :

http://www.oracle-class.com/?p=2043

Best Regards

mseberg
          • 2. Re: RMAN backup into multiple locations
            nhidba
            Hi mseberg,

Thanks for ur reply.

I am planning for near feature. I am adding 1.5GB per day so with in 1 or 2 months 1200GB might not be enough.

Can i allocate multiple channels(4) in which 3 channels point to /rmanbkp1 and 1 channel point to /rmanbkp2. Will this work..

Thanks
            Sandeep Vadlamudi
            • 3. Re: RMAN backup into multiple locations
              mseberg
              Hello again;

I post a link that shows how to backup to more than one location in my prior post.
              RUN {
                ALLOCATE CHANNEL d1 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u01/backups/%U'; 
                ALLOCATE CHANNEL d2 DEVICE TYPE DISK FORMAT '/u02/backups/%U';
                BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;
                RELEASE CHANNEL;
              }
              Best Regards

mseberg
              • 4. Re: RMAN backup into multiple locations
                nhidba
                I have gone through that link.. but my doubt is if i allocate 2 channels, one each for 1 filesystem, then rman will distribute the backup in same proportions, which should not happen...

Thanks
                Sandy
                • 5. Re: RMAN backup into multiple locations
                  mseberg
                  Sandy;

You're options appear limited then. You really need more disk space.

I generally built with a volume manager so I can add disk easy.

Of course this does not help after the fact.

Best Regards

mseberg