This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 24, 2013 10:23 PM by 986919 RSS

Edit .app file in excel and then open it in client tool?

986919 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Dear Gurus,

I am very new to HFM and would like to know what practice a HFM consultant will use in editing the metadata.

My boss recommend me to edit metadata( .app file) in excel and save it into a format that can be read and opened by client tool.

However, I find no way to achieve this.

How can i edit metadata in excel and then open it in HFM client tool?
  • 1. Re: Edit .app file in excel and then open it in client tool?
    user6351237 Newbie
    Good morning,

I think the best way to do it it's working with macros. You can work with an Excel file and then, convert it to the .txt format by using macros. A .txt is more suitable to be later worked as .app.
    However, you can also do it by using Copy/Paste.

1. Open the .app in a Note Pad, so you can work with .txt file.
    2. Copy the .txt data in the Excel file.
    3. Then, it's just working with Data > Text to Columns to format the file. Then, you can work in Excel.

Then, you will have to put the Excel file in a .txt, so you will have to follow the data files requirements. You still can do this manually, but you will have to pay attention to the format (FILE_FORMAT=11.1.2, !VERSION=11.1.3609, !CUSTOM_ORDER=Custom1;Custom2;Custom3;Custom4, !APPLICATION_SETTINGS, !CURRENCIES, etc., as it is the Admin Guide). It will also depend on the HFM version you're working with, specially when working with customs.

I received a good document about a couple of months ago that can be helpful, so if you send me an email address, I'll forward it.

Regards,

Lu
  • 2. Re: Edit .app file in excel and then open it in client tool?
    JDN Explorer
    Lu,

If you don't mind, I'd be interested in having a copy of the document. jdnhfm@gmail.com

Thank you!
    Jason
  • 3. Re: Edit .app file in excel and then open it in client tool?
    986919 Newbie
    Dear lu.

Thanks for your reply. my email is jzshhk15@yahoo.com.au

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points