1 2 3 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 7:42 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

"Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7

Ant13
      I get this error message, when using DBCA to create a database. Please help! Studying on my own for OCA.

Error message : "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the following error - Listener is not up or database service is not registered with it. Start the listener and register database service and run EM Configuration Assistant again."

I did the following :
      (1)Checked listener service properties and found that the path to executable was

driveletter:\app\product\11.1.0\db_2\bin\oracle.exeoca11g

I change the path above to what is listed below:

driveletter:\app\product\11.1.0\db_2\bin\tnslsnr

I updated :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\OracleOCA11gTNSListener
      image file to reflect the change .

I got the above suggestion from a blog. Not sure if it is right or wrong, but it seems logical. However, it did not resolve my issue

(2) I ran the emca script in db_home/bin directory as suggested by the warning message in DBCA wizard. Reboot my PC. Still no luck.

(3) I open DBCA to verify the database(via delete) is created, and yes it is .
      I open EM and attempted to log into the tool as Sys/sysdba user. I get username and/or password are invalid error message. URL: https(strike-through)localhost://158/em/console/logon/logon
      I can connect to SQl plus as either a sys/sysdba user but into EM.
        • 1. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
          Srini Chavali-Oracle
          If you have installed 11gR1 on Win 7, then you are using an unsupported/uncertified combination - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/install.111/b32006/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE - so things may or may not work as advertised.

Is there a reason for not using 11gR2 ? What version of Win 7 ? Home versions are not certified to install any Oracle software. One option you have is to install a Linux VM using Virtualbox and then install 11gR2 in the Linux VM - pl see my blog (linked in my profile) for detailed steps.

HTH
          Srini
          • 2. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
            Osama_Mustafa
            Please mention Full Version For Database ( 4 digit )
            • 3. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
              ji li
              Hello,

First question is if the error message says to do one thing, why did you do something else totally unrelated?
              Error message : "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the following error - Listener is not up or database service is not registered with it. Start the listener and register database service and run EM Configuration Assistant again."
              What it is asking you to do in the above case is simply start up the netca utility and create a listener (if you do not have one already), and/or add a service for the database you will be creating. This will also start the listener. If you know what you are doing, you don't have to use the netca utility, but it makes it much easier for the novice to get started faster.

The other option is to uncheck the option in dbca to use the database as an Enterprise Manager Repository.
              • 4. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                Ant13
                My DB version info. is below and my PC is running Widows 7 64 bit OS.

SQL*Plus: Release 11.2.0.1.0 Production on Fri Jan 25 12:35:04 2013
                Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.
                Enter user-name: sys as sysdba
                Enter password:
                Connected to:
                Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - 64bit Production
                With the Partitioning, OLAP, Data Mining and Real Application Testing options
                SQL>

Questions:
                Do I need the netcat utility? I assume after I install oracle 11g on windows,it will create a listener and service automatically.
                Do I have to manually create oracle database listener on windows? if yes, how....help!
                And where can I get a download netcat utility, if it is necessary, i get a this file may be dangerous msg from my anti-virus ,when I attempt to download netcat utility from a google search.

In the mean time, I will skip EM, and continue to work with DBCA, but I like to get a full experience of using the tools in Oracle, especially for the exam.

Please remember, this is an entirely new world to me.

Thanks,

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 25, 2013 12:58 PM

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 25, 2013 12:59 PM
                • 5. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle
                  If you have installed 11.2.0.1 (11gR2) successfully, then the path in your original post above should be "driveletter:\app\product\11.2.0\db_2\bin\tnslsnr" and not "driveletter:\app\product\11.1.0\db_2\bin\tnslsnr" - so something is amiss here

Pl also identify exact version of Win 7 - Home versions are not certified - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/reqs.htm#CHDHGGFE

Assuming you are using a certified OS version and installed the software/database without errors, a listener will be created automatically. You do not need to use DBCA since you apparently already have a database created. Can you pl review the installation log file (http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/install.112/e24186/ts.htm#i1090466) and post any errors present in this file ?

HTH
                  Srini
                  • 6. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                    Osama_Mustafa
                    Post the output
                    lsnrctl status
                    also notice that Home editions not certified with Oracle database.
                    • 7. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                      Ant13
                      Ok here is my listener status

C:\>lsnrctl status
                      LSNRCTL for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production on 25-JAN-2013 14:01
                      :59
                      Copyright (c) 1991, 2010, Oracle. All rights reserved.
                      Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1521)))
                      STATUS of the LISTENER
                      ------------------------
                      Alias LISTENER
                      Version TNSLSNR for 64-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Produ
                      ction
                      Start Date 25-JAN-2013 07:12:48
                      Uptime 0 days 6 hr. 49 min. 13 sec
                      Trace Level off
                      Security ON: Local OS Authentication
                      SNMP OFF
                      Listener Parameter File C:\app\Barbara\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\network\admin\l
                      istener.ora
                      Listener Log File c:\app\barbara\diag\tnslsnr\Lenovo-PC\listener\alert\l
                      og.xml
                      Listening Endpoints Summary...
                      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(PIPENAME=\\.\pipe\EXTPROC1521ipc)))
                      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=127.0.0.1)(PORT=1521)))
                      Services Summary...
                      Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Service "OCA11GXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "oca11g", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Service "OCA2XDB" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "oca2", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Service "oca11g" has 1 instance(s).
                      Service "oca2" has 1 instance(s).
                      Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
                      Instance "orcl", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                      Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                      The command completed successfully

This is the OracleoraDB11g_home1TNSlistner image file value is this

C:\app\Barbara\product\11.2.0\dbhome_2\BIN\TNSLSNR

Aaaah! I do not like the sound of this. Oracle enterprise edition does not support windows home edition and Oracle XE does not have DBCA included.
                      Ok, so this is a road block, please suggest alternative routes.

Thanks

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 25, 2013 2:21 PM

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 25, 2013 2:33 PM
                      • 8. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                        Osama_Mustafa
                        Service "CLRExtProc" has 1 instance(s).
                        Instance "CLRExtProc", status UNKNOWN, has 1 handler(s) for this service...
                        Service "OCA11GXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                        Service "OCA2XDB" has 1 instance(s).
                        Service "oca11g" has 1 instance(s).
                        Service "oca2" has 1 instance(s).
                        Service "orcl" has 1 instance(s).
                        Service "orclXDB" has 1 instance(s).
                        The command completed successfully
                        First which database you are using ? did you export ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID before start create enterprise ?

Aaaah! I do not like the sound of this. Oracle enterprise edition does not support windows home edition and Oracle XE does not have DBCA included.
                        why you don't like it ? the question is why you should use home edition as server . you can install vmware software and create your own vm on certified OS
                        • 9. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                          Srini Chavali-Oracle
                          >
                          >

Pl re-read my first post above

HTH
                          Srini
                          • 10. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                            Ant13
                            Ok, so I took the alternate route of installing linux VM using a virtual box. It has not been a smooth sail to say the lest. I encountered some stops along the way, one of which I need help on.
                            i cannot run " First run Wizard," instead a black screen is displayed when VM box is started.

System info
                            Running Virtual box 4.2.6 r82870
                            OS windows 7 64 bit,home premium
                            Intel Virtual Technology is enabled in BIOS
                            Windows display 13666X768
                            Change VM memory from 12MB to 128MB

I try the below suggestions from the blogosphere but still no luck

Enable IO-API
                            Reset machine
                            Disable nesting paging
                            Install guest additions
                            Enable/Disable 3d acceleration

Thanks

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 26, 2013 10:52 PM
                            • 11. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                              Osama_Mustafa
                              Ant13 wrote:
                              Ok, so I took the alternate route of installing linux VM using a virtual box. It has not been a smooth sail to say the lest. I encountered some stops along the way, one of which I need help on.
                              i cannot run " First run Wizard," instead a black screen is displayed when VM box is started.

System info
                              Running Virtual box 4.2.6 r82870
                              OS windows 7 64 bit,home premium
                              Intel Virtual Technology is enabled in BIOS
                              Windows display 13666X768
                              Change VM memory from 12MB to 128MB

I try the below suggestions from the blogosphere but still no luck

Enable IO-API
                              Reset machine
                              Disable nesting paging
                              Install guest additions
                              Enable/Disable 3d acceleration

Thanks

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 26, 2013 10:52 PM
                              Why you reinstall windows 7 home on your vm ... Oracle is not certified with home editions
                              • 12. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                                Srini Chavali-Oracle
                                I believe the steps in my blog are clear and explicit - did you follow them exactly ? You will need more than 128MB for the your VM memory - start with 2G

HTH
                                Srini
                                • 13. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                                  Ant13
                                  Yes, installation guide is very precise and clear. Thank you very much. The first hiccups were probably caused by some oversight on my part or PC related.

Ok, I uninstalled oracle virtual box and deleted the linux image file I created, basically, I started all over.

Now I am on part 3 and I am at a stop. Part 3 is not intuitive to a newbie like me, so I need some hands-holding.

Questions:

(1) Where do I get the four master scripts that control the startup and shutdown of an R12 EBS environment

(2)Navigate to this directory :"/d01/oracle/VIS/db/tech_st/11.1.0/appsutil/scripts/VIS_linux1" : where is this directory located?

(3) # ./addlnctl.sh start VIS // I ran this command in the VM box terminal and got :no such file or directory msg.

Thanks

Edited by: Ant13 on Jan 28, 2013 12:54 AM
                                  • 14. Re: "Enterprise manager configuration failed due to the ff... 11 g/windows 7
                                    Srini Chavali-Oracle
                                    Which blog entry are you following ? What you reference above is for an R12.1.1 EBS install. If you are wanting to install 11gR2 database, pl start here http://chavalis.blogspot.com/2012/08/oracle-database-install-on-windows-home.html

HTH
                                    Srini
                                    1 2 3 Previous Next