1 Reply Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 11:54 AM by safarmer RSS

Javacard OS loading question

Jean-Damien LEBUI
      I've never working with the underline platform of javacard and now, I have a question related to the Javacard OS.
      If you have ever done this kind of work, would you please share with me the basic step in the process?
      1- Development of javacard OS (conform to Javacard specification) in C/C++?
      2- The compilation of the javacard OS code must be based on target IC? That means, we can use the compiler to compile the code into the 'machine languages' targeted to a specific IC (i.e. ST or Samsung)?
      3- After the compilation, it's the phase of loading the compiled code into the memory of the 'blank card'. Normally, the 'blank card' must support ISO-7816 specification, is that right? So which commands we would use to load the javacard OS into the memory of the 'blank card'? I have no idea about the memory location when loading the OS into the card, I hope that someone here would clarify me on this point.
      4- If the card is compatible with GP, another phase of compiled GP code loading must be added?

I also hope that this question is not put into the wrong section.

Best Regardsm
      JD LEBUI
        • 1. Re: Javacard OS loading question
          safarmer
          Jean-Damien LEBUI wrote:
          I've never working with the underline platform of javacard and now, I have a question related to the Javacard OS.
          If you have ever done this kind of work, would you please share with me the basic step in the process?
          I have never done this but I can tell you my understanding of the process. I may not have all the details and could even be wrong here so YMMV.
          1- Development of javacard OS (conform to Javacard specification) in C/C++?
          C and Assembly. You may also be able to use C++
          2- The compilation of the javacard OS code must be based on target IC? That means, we can use the compiler to compile the code into the 'machine languages' targeted to a specific IC (i.e. ST or Samsung)?
          That is correct. The IC manufacturer will be able to provide a toolchain for this.
          3- After the compilation, it's the phase of loading the compiled code into the memory of the 'blank card'. Normally, the 'blank card' must support ISO-7816 specification, is that right? So which commands we would use to load the javacard OS into the memory of the 'blank card'? I have no idea about the memory location when loading the OS into the card, I hope that someone here would clarify me on this point.
          This may depend on the IC you use and the developer documentation (or customer support) would be able to help here.
          4- If the card is compatible with GP, another phase of compiled GP code loading must be added?
          If the card is GP compliant it will most likely have a JCRE as well. If you are building a JCVM/JCRE you will need to add the GP support as well.