10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 11:23 AM by ChrisJenkins RSS

OracleDataReader : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Hi,

I have a problem with executing oracleCommand.ExecuteReader() method. Whatever I try it always returns null and it won't create OracleDatareader object. I'm using ODAC 1120320_x64 for .net 4.0 and timesten112241.win64. Don't sure what to do. Debugger is showing strange thing in OracleConnection object : ConnectionState = Closed, but output of ttStatus shows connection to TimesTen data store and ExecuteNonQuery() command works just fine with or without (in or out) parameters. But when I try to execute some query with multile output such as select *, I can't get any result.
      I also have a strange problem with connection.Open() and couldn't find any solution online. When I execute Open() i throws AccessViolationException that can be handled with [HandleProcessCorruptedStateExceptions] attribute, but connection is established after that and my application works fine until I try to instance OracleDataReader object. Thanks in advance!

Here is the code:
      OracleCommand select = null;
      OracleDataReader reader = null;

select = new OracleCommand(selectStmt, connection);
      select.CommandType = CommandType.Text;
      try
      {
      reader = select.ExecuteReader(); // this line throws NullReferenceException
      if (reader.HasRows)
      {
      while (reader.Read())
      {
      object[] values = new object[1];
      reader.GetValues(values);
      if (values[0] != DBNull.Value)
      {

SupportedTypes.Add((DMSType)values[0]);
      }

}

}
      else
      {
      Console.WriteLine("No rows found.");
      }

return SupportedTypes;
      }
      catch (Exception e)
      {
      Console.WriteLine(e.Message);
      Console.WriteLine(e.StackTrace);
      return null;
      }
      finally
      {
      reader.Dispose();
      select.Dispose();
      }

Just to mention, I tried it with different queries (pl/sql, plane sql, stored procedure) and all of them works fine in SQL Developer, but not in app.

Best regards,
      Nikola