5 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 7:56 AM by 921374 RSS

LDOM won't AI or Jumpstart

Hi All

I have an LDOM I wish to install using either AI (from another LDOM on the same host) or from our jumpstart server (elsewhere).

We have a private VLAN (10) which allows all traffic through, I've successfully set this to be the default VLAN used by the virtual switch, and can confirm that the LDOM I wish to install can connect to both other servers with untagged traffic (I installed the LDOM using a CD just to make sure my connectivity was working before attempting a remote installation).

When I attempt to boot from the network on the LDOM, I receive this error message:

{0} ok boot net - install
      Boot device: /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0 File and args: - install
      WARNING: /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0: Receiving packet from LDC but LDC is Not Up!

WARNING: /virtual-devices@100/channel-devices@200/network@0: Communication error with Virtual Network Server!

ERROR: boot-read fail

Now, it should work, since a manual installation proves an untagged connection is there, so why does it fail here? Any ideas greatly appreciated, it's driving me mad.

Best,
      John
        • 1. Re: LDOM won't AI or Jumpstart
          Marcel Hofstetter JomaSoft
          Hi John

Do you define VID for your ldom network interfaces?
          If you removed them and only define a PVID it will work.

Best regards,
          Marcel
          • 2. Re: LDOM won't AI or Jumpstart
            Hi Marcel, and thank you for taking time to reply.

I removed VID from my ldom net interface, so now I have this:
            NETWORK
                NAME             SERVICE                     ID   DEVICE     MAC               MODE   PVID VID                  MTU   LINKPROP  
                net0             primary-vsw0@primary        0    network@0  00:14:4f:fb:9e:a6        260  250,852,701          9216            
                    PEER                        MAC               MODE   PVID VID                  MTU   LINKPROP  
                    primary-vsw0@primary        00:14:4f:f8:75:aa        260                       9216 
                    net0@weaver                 00:14:4f:fb:15:ed        260                       9216            
                NAME             SERVICE                     ID   DEVICE     MAC               MODE   PVID VID                  MTU   LINKPROP  
                net1             primary-vsw1@primary        1    network@1  00:14:4f:f8:ef:57        260  250,852,701          9216            
                    PEER                        MAC               MODE   PVID VID                  MTU   LINKPROP  
                    primary-vsw1@primary        00:14:4f:fb:dc:19        260                       9216 
                    net1@weaver                 00:14:4f:f8:20:15        260                       9216            
            The machine I am attempting to jumpstart is called weaver.

I now receive
            Timed out waiting for BOOTP/DHCP reply
            But I suspect something is still incorrect, since the MAC address reported by the machine at bootup is
            Ethernet address 0:14:4f:fb:d1:bd
            Whereas the properties in the LOM console show
            {0} ok cd net
            {0} ok .properties
            local-mac-address        00 14 4f fb 15 ed 
            If you or anyone else out there in internet land have any ideas or suggestions I would love to hear them!

Best,
            John
            • 3. Re: LDOM won't AI or Jumpstart
              Marcel Hofstetter JomaSoft
              Hi John

You solved the VID issue.
              Now you have set the VLAN Tag 260 as PVID.

Do you need VLAN tagged traffic? To use untagged traffic you need to set PVID to 1.

Best regards,
              Marcel
              • 4. Re: LDOM won't AI or Jumpstart
                As to the MAC addresses, you've got multiple systems here, each with their own MAC address.
                - The ILOM has its own OS and a MAC address for its own use.
                - The primary domain (hardware owner) has its own MAC address, which is probably different from the one seen in the OBP banner.
                - The weaver LDom, which has its own MAC address, in this case, from the range assigned automatically when the LDom is first bound. (You can also manually assign the MAC address if you don't want to use the built-in duplication avoidance routines.) A range of MAC addresses is set aside for both purposes.

Sun set aside a block of 524,288 (512K) MAC addresses for use by logical domains. The block is from address 00:14:4F:F8:00:00 to address 00:14:4F:FF:FF:FF. This block is divided into two halves. The lower half is assigned automatically to domains, virtual switches and virtual interfaces if another MAC address is not provided. The upper half is available for manual allocation. The lower half of the MAC address pool is addresses from 00:14:4F:F8:00:00 to 00:14:4F:FB:FF:FF. The upper half, 00:14:4F:FC:00:00 to 00:14:4F:FF:FF:FF, is only used if you manually specify them.

Remember, the MAC address is like the number on your house. You can have the same number (MAC address) on different street (physical network segments), but only one place to a number on an individual street, or things get real confused. If you want apartments, we have IP port numbers for that, but you have to get to the building first. (Think of the IP address as identifying which street, and routing as your driving directions to get there.)
                • 5. Re: LDOM won't AI or Jumpstart
                  Thanks to you both. I have it connecting to the jumpstart server now using the following configuration:
                  VSW
                      NAME             MAC               NET-DEV   ID   DEVICE     LINKPROP   DEFAULT-VLAN-ID PVID VID                  MTU   MODE   INTER-VNET-LINK
                      primary-vsw0     00:14:4f:fb:dc:19 net0      0    switch@0              260             260  250,701,852          9216         on         
                          PEER                        MAC               PVID VID                  MTU   LINKPROP   INTERVNETLINK
                          vnet1@weaver                00:14:4f:fb:15:ed 260                       9216 
                      NAME             MAC               NET-DEV   ID   DEVICE     LINKPROP   DEFAULT-VLAN-ID PVID VID                  MTU   MODE   INTER-VNET-LINK
                      primary-vsw1     00:14:4f:f8:75:aa net1      1    switch@1              260             260  250,701,852          9216         on 
                  (I had to speak to our network guy to set our default vlan through, then I deleted weaver and recreated.)

I have a further issue with the jumpstart process now but that can wait for another thread!

Thanks again.

John